Help! Had AMG windscreen replacement, is this genuine OEM or aftermarket

• Thread starter Deleted upon users own request member 138506
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I had my windscreen replaced on my 211 E55, I asked the Autoglass fitter about whether it would be an OEM screen or not.

He just said cars older than 3 years wouldn't get an OEM Mercedes screen and it was just what they fitted for this car where the spec was matching (i.e. it had the rain sensor). :dk:

To be fair, the one that was fitted was fine and I had no issues with the rain sensor in that car.
I would say that is less of an issue in a newish car , but if wanting a screen for an older classic , where originality is everything, then I would be looking for a genuine replacement, especially if they were trying to fob me off with laminated plastic instead of toughened glass as fitted up to the 1970’s .

A couple of years back , I needed a screen for my R129 , rang Autoglass who had none in stock in the UK and couldn’t quote availability. I rang my insurer ( Privilege) who were really good when I explained the MOT was due in about three weeks and it would fail with a foot long crack coming down from the top of the screen , they told me if I could source one anywhere they would authorise it . I asked at the dealership and they were able to order it from Germany and got it within two days ( wasn’t cheap ) and I got a small independent fitter to fit it . I had to pay out upfront but they reimbursed me less my excess without any bother .

Last edited:
Autoglass fitted a screen to my same vehicle a few years ago and it was a "like for like" OEM fitting and authorised by my insurers and i couldnt fault their expertise and workmanship. However the current screen fitted by a different Windscreen company who operate Nationally have not fiited "like for like" even though my insurers authorised it as such. I know it is only a windscreen (and a genuine MB part) but as a MB enthusiast i like to keep everything as original as possible, i can imagine there are many enthusiasts of any brand of car who would feel the same. The car is a keeper, probably will never be worth much and is still depreciating in value but i would have liked to have kept it original. The fitting by this national windscreen company has been abysmal and their complaints department give the run around. I would have preferred an original screen fitted before they attempt further remedial work on the botched fitting but looks like i will have to accept the screen i have been supplied with. TBH I will probably end up going to Autoglass once this saga is over to have the job done propperly whatever the cost.
I’d just throw a stone at it and start over !

Has no one pointed him to the AMG lounge , where he could trade jibes with like minded cohorts ?
Ha ha, Naturally I know that place, it was my first port of call when i had my AMG AMG AMG YES........but the guys here make me smile so much more.

Reactions: 219
I would say that is less of an issue in a newish car , but if wanting a screen for an older classic , where originality is everything, then I would be looking for a genuine replacement, especially if they were trying to fob me off with laminated plastic instead of toughened glass as fitted up to the 1970’s .

I agree not an issue with newish cars. However I always try to think ahead of the pack and what may be newish today will be tomorrows classic. I only have to wait 15 more years and Hey Presto.

Am now so stressed after reading this thread that I am immediately going to go outside and examine my windscreen closely to check it is original. If I find out it is not I am going to have a complete breakdown :eek:
Like this guy ?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I agree not an issue with newish cars. However I always try to think ahead of the pack and what may be newish today will be tomorrows classic. I only have to wait 15 more years and Hey Presto.
Every Generation of SL is guaranteed to become a classic.

Just a small update on this issue after numerous communications.....

"In relation to the trims, I can advise that I am now in the position to come back to you with a response.

The technician that carried out the windscreen replacement did note on the job that some of the clips were missing from the previous replacement. He has since advised that the driver side trim appeared older than the passenger side trim. However, he cannot recall whether the trim was sitting properly prior to starting the job. We have therefore been unable to conclude whether the trim was sitting properly prior to the replacement and in view of this we have ordered a replacement part for you as a goodwill gesture.

Please be assured that once the part has arrived, the branch will contact you to make the necessary arrangements to have the part fitted."

Although they dont remember, neither trims had been changed and were both sitting propperly previously. I am not sure what part will be fitted but hopefully it will be sorted.
Is it worth you going to the dealership and ordering the various missing clips at your own cost and getting him to fit them while he’s at it ?

Like this guy ?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Yeah, seriously they need help. But funny none-the-less

Stone chips both times. First chip was barely noticable being on edge of glass above rvm , but when washing/hosing car down on hot day the screen split from top to bottom at the chip point- but that chip was there when i bought the car in 2017. Second time happened last month when a car was overtaking me on a dual carriageway and must've thrown up a stone.
Maybe you need a screen protector, sort of a bigger version of the things you get for mobile phones ?

Wonder if that would even work ? Business idea for someone !

Is it worth you going to the dealership and ordering the various missing clips at your own cost and getting him to fit them while he’s at it ?
Well if you had understood previous posts you may have noted that the clips have already been replaced and have not made any difference. Seeing your other replies why do you seem to care.

Well if you had understood previous posts you may have noted that the clips have already been replaced and have not made any difference. Seeing your other replies why do you seem to care.
Yep I just saw your post where you said that , after my post just there .

Maybe you need a screen protector, sort of a bigger version of the things you get for mobile phones ?

Wonder if that would even work ? Business idea for someone !
Bright idea - sounds just up your street, give it a go.

Has no one pointed him to the AMG lounge , where he could trade jibes with like minded cohorts ?

Or janitor of the AMG lounge ?

Wasn’t an insult ; was humour . In good humour .

Please explain the humour.
I brushed aside your first "dig" at me. What is humourous about "trade jibes with like minded cohorts"
Then you suggest i am "janitor of the AMG lounge". Where is the good humour in that?

Steady on old boy...Bloody Londoners. 😉
Ha ha, if only I'd realised he was a Londoner before i made that post ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom