Help!!!...have i bought a dud!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tflda29

Car
ML270 CDi 2002
Hello All,

I am now the proud owner of a 2002 ML270 with 70,000 miles on the clock. Really like the car and bought it for safety for my wife and one year old. I live in Aberdeen and bought the car in Glasgow...the drive up was excellent really comfortable and good acceleration on kickdown......

Unfortunately over the weekend the ABS, BAS, ETS and EPC light came on, car was really sluggish and no kickdown and i started to worry, however after reading posts on here i checked the brake light switch and replaced it and the lights have gone out. On opening the swith one of the contacts seemend to be burnt out so i was happy that i had fixed the problem.

However....when i took it for a drive it still seems really lethargic, doesnt rev very high and kickdown will not work at all!!!...The kickdown button on the floor does not move like a swith....should this move and if the car is in limp home mode is there some way to re-set this like you can do on other cars?

Really worried now after reading some things on the web...

Thanks
Trevor

Get it on a diagnostic machine such as a Star and get the fault codes read. This will save you ££ in the long run.

most likely a Mass Air Flow issue but as olly says, you cant guess..

Sounds as if its still in limp home mode. Could be a faulty MAF, a transmission fluid problem, the inport shut off motor / linkage on manifold etc etc You may have sorted the problem but the car may still need the fault codes reset. Sometimes this can be done by disconnecting the battery for a short period but you may lose some settings radio code etc. Best to get the fault codes read to be on the safe side as has been said.:thumb:

MAF or an abs sensor. Get the codes read, then come back to us for the solution.

Did you buy it privately or through a dealer??

thanks for reply guys...will have a look tonight at maf etc......

What about the kickdown switch....should that be solid and not move like a switch?

Bought car from a dealer but 280mile round trip so don't want to go if an easily fixed problem...

thanks
Trevor

this sounds 99% a air mass sensor issue. shouldn't be to much of a problem mate

No lights come on on the W163 if the MAF is at fault

Kick-down switch

I think I'm correct in saying that there is no actual switch under the throttle pedal. I guess you W163 owners will put me right on that one if necessary.

I think kick-down is initiated electronically based on throttle demand and speed/load conditions, and not an actual switch under the pedal.

I think I'm correct in saying that there is no actual switch under the throttle pedal. I guess you W163 owners will put me right on that one if necessary.

I think kick-down is initiated electronically based on throttle demand and speed/load conditions, and not an actual switch under the pedal.

how is it on the 210s i know on my 202 it actually broke!

My ML 270cdi has a kickdown switch under the pedal, and yes, it moves up and down and 'clicks' as you would expect a kickdown switch to do............the carpet is a very close fit around it though so i cant see if a plug/wiring is attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom