HELP! heated rear window exploded

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

striker600

Car
2001 c270 cdi avantgarde estate Auto w203
My Heated rear window has just exploded! It has never worked while i have owend the car (since july2007).When switched on,Light on dash has always illuminated &relay in rear fuse box has always clicked.
I Removed tailgate trim this afternoon,which revealed both spade connectors(one to each side of window element were disconnected and taped up.
I connected multi meter across these two & got just over 12V.
I also tested window heating element for continuity which was ok(no break in the element).
Tonight whilst car was parked on my drive&windows were misted up,so i thought i"d try the HRW. I swiched the HRW on which slowed engine idle speed for a second or two,then after 20 to 30 seconds BANG! the glass shattered.
The car came with the rear tailgate & two rear quarter glass windows (which are heated) tinted.Could this tinting film cause the rear tailgate glass to have shatterd? or is the cause a faulty heating element or a wiring fault?

Had a new rear heated windscreen fitted today.I have noticed that the radio reception is poor with the built in ariel.The old screen,with built in ariel was better reception(perfect) than the new screen. Is there anything i can do to make reception better?Or should i ask windscreen company to fit me another new screen&hope radio reception will be improved.
Or would i be better fitting a roof ariel? If yes Can anyone recommend a good ariel? im thinking a roof mounted one,as mines a estate car.

Last edited:
I thought the side elements were the radio ariel. I have a post 04 w203 estate and when the hrw is on it only clears the rear and not the sides. There is a post on here somewhere that confirms what I believe.
Cant understand how your glass could explode. Obviously a past owner new something you dont!
I do have a rear window mounted arial I thought that was for the telephone cradle thing, which I must say is great
I assume when you open your doors the radio reception improves;)

I thought the side elements were the radio ariel. I have a post 04 w203 estate and when the hrw is on it only clears the rear and not the sides. There is a post on here somewhere that confirms what I believe.
Cant understand how your glass could explode. Obviously a past owner new something you dont!
I do have a rear window mounted arial I thought that was for the telephone cradle thing, which I must say is great
I assume when you open your doors the radio reception improves;)
I will open doors to see if reception improves.Their is a coax cable with a round plug on the end which press fits on to a stud on HRW(looks like a press stud on a coat).This stood looks like it is connected to the rear window heating element.When i pull in off i lose radio reception altogether.so im only assuming the radio ariel is in the HRW. Can anyone confirm the ariel is in the two side rear windows,and not the HRW?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom