HELP ! I need an electronics/electrical expert please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bennesspipers

MB Enthusiast
Car
'95 W202 C220 Elegance saloon & 2001 C240 V6 Sport Estate
I have a Parvalux electric motor (inc gearbox its 9" long), its 240volt DC, & i need some form of gadgetry to make it work from 240 volt AC , & needs to be controlled, can anyone either tell me what to buy,& where from, OR, build & supply me it ??? Really struggling with this, please help if you can. It doesnt say what wattage it uses, only that its a 'DC shunt' motor, reference numbers on the motor are M11.M/117999/4M, & the gearbox takes it to 100 rpm, John :wallbash:

Is 240v dc a typo? - maybe 24v dc?
That type of motor is used because its very suited to a variable speed controller - Parvalux used to make/sell them too (I've been out of the industry for a long time)

Do you need variable speed control? - if so google 'DC motor speed controller' & you should find something that works off a 240vac supply - they're a common enough item.

If you don't need variable speed, then just look for a '24v dc power supply' that'll work off 240vac input. Find the power of your motor and get a power supply to match or exceed.

Hi Chris, its defo 240 v DC, been tested, & yes i do need variable control, thanks for replying.

e.g. Radio Spares do this controller - described as suitable for Parvalux range
part number
425-5232

but they're over a hundred quid these days!

240v dc is outside of the range that I was familiar with; 12 -24 was the norm.
Sorry I can't help you more.
Maybe try Parvalux themselves - they always used to sell the controllers to match their motor/gearbox units
chris

Thanks Chris ,i think i MAY have found one on e-bay from your description,but iv had to message the seller wi a load of questions,cos he hasnt given enough details.

Iv also now e-mailed Parvalux,im surprised theyre still in existence.

Could you not simply use a bridge rectifier & a switch to control on/off?

Hi Smatt, I know nothing of electronics, would you mind explaining that please ?

A bridge rectifier consists of 4 diodes. When correctly arranged it will convert AC to DC

Smatt,are you capable of making me what i need please ? For a fee of course.

A bridge rectifier will give you (lumpy) DC but you won't have speed control

You can buy a 240V bridge rectifier almost anywhere - Maplins, Radiospares, etc. Use care when dealing with 240 V AC and DC

Nick Froome

Iv located a speed controller/ac-dc converter, but, its max output is only 220v dc whereas my motor says it wants 230-250v dc, will that make much difference ?

Not sure I dare ask what this is for..... :devil:

@ Gollom, I cant think what you mean :rolleyes:

Without wanting to sound condescending, but if you're not sure what or how to make a rectifier can I suggest staying away from 240v DC...

Job sorted,all bought sorted & working, thanks guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom