HELP!! I need to see the light on my W204

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigjacques1

Car
2006 C180 Kompressor Sport
Hi. It has been a while since I was on the site but need help please.I sold my trusted w203 and bought a W204.First thing I wanted to do is to upgrade the low beam bulbs as they seem poor.I bought a set of the new PHILIPS racingvision and was very disappointed as at £32 they were not much better,if at all. I just bought a set of RING 130% and they also didn't make much difference. Has anyone managed to find a bulb that is worth changing to that will give more light on the road?

I had a W204 and living in a country area spent a lot of time on dipped beam but was not conscious of poor dipped illumination but the present W205 does have far better lights - both main and dipped.
In the days of driving lesser vehicles when one added extra spot and fog lights to each new car I would always put a decent spot light next to the offside headlight aimed across to the near side verge well ahead of the dipped beam - ideal for spotting cyclists and pedestrians on unlit country roads.

The standard lamps on my W204 are not too bad and in fact comparable with my old car which had Osram Silverstars fitted. Maybe standard lamps are getting better.

I fitted Nightbreakers to my 204, they died within a year - but I have dipped beam on with ignition (no DRL's) so the dipped had plenty of use. Have changed the dipped to standard, they are still working fine 3 years later, but am seriously thinking of making the mains nightbreaker+ or similar.

I put Philips Xtreme Vision +130s in my CLK last year and am very pleased with them.

They are brighter and whiter than the Osram Nightbreakers I have in my E46, though I think these may be the original Nightbreakers as they are now 3 years old.

HID kit from ebay is the way to go.

I never found much difference in changing the standard bulbs for so called brighter versions.

Last edited:
markjay said:
Not sure if HID kits (HID bulbs in Halogen lamps) are actually legal: http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20120606172804/http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/aftermarket-hid-headlamps.pdf Though it seems that some have fitted these with no issues (from MOT, Police, insurers, etc). Safest option seems to be complete retrofit of factory HIDs though this will obviously not be cheap.

I think (but don't qoute) the halogen projectors in the w204 are alright for those sort of lights

I have nightbreakers, but lights are automatic so only come on at night so they've lasted 16 months or so. Haven't tried the Phillips ones yet

OP- do what I did and buy some facelift bi-xenon headlamps from Winpower lighting, fitted with 4200K bulbs. You can choose what rating of bulbs you like, all the way to 6000K IIRC, but anything below 5000K is alright

That or, go the OEM route which will cost thousands. Not sure what year your car is but either way they'll work. If it's a pre facelift you'll just need an adaptor from Kabeldaviko

I had exactly the same problem with my W204 and found that the halogen lamps had been fitted incorrectly by someone in the past, very easy to install upside down in the holders, almost zero light output, once corrected back to a usual light output, also fitted nightbreakers and there is a marked improvement over standard lamps so a worthwhile outlay, around 14 quid from amazon

Stardelta said:
I had exactly the same problem with my W204 and found that the halogen lamps had been fitted incorrectly by someone in the past, very easy to install upside down in the holders, almost zero light output, once corrected back to a usual light output, also fitted nightbreakers and there is a marked improvement over standard lamps so a worthwhile outlay, around 14 quid from amazon

I did the same but when I fitted my nightbreakers, fitted them the wrong way round :doh:

You only notice at night as well, so it has to be rectified in the dark to be able to see if it's correct or not :eek:

I bought a set of the OSRAM Nightbreakers unlimited from ECP on there Blackfriday sales for £13 and they are by far the best of all I have tried.dont waste your time or money on other bulbs.they are so much better and you could clearly see the difference.

bigjacques1 said:
I bought a set of the OSRAM Nightbreakers unlimited from ECP on there Blackfriday sales for £13 and they are by far the best of all I have tried.dont waste your time or money on other bulbs.they are so much better and you could clearly see the difference.

ECP are a joke, £13 on a Black Friday sale but Amazon has had them for that price for over a year solid :dk:

Bought them on ebay, cheap and cheerful ( bought extra pair for spare ) , i am impress how white and bright these are.

search on ebay

Bright White Light Lamp Bulbs H7 55W 12V 6000K Xenon Gas Halogen Headlight

phil888 said:
Bought them on ebay, cheap and cheerful ( bought extra pair for spare ) , i am impress how white and bright these are. search on ebay Bright White Light Lamp Bulbs H7 55W 12V 6000K Xenon Gas Halogen Headlight

You know those are illegal, and also look terrible from another road users point of view?

May look nice from behind your drivers seat, but not approaching you in another car

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom