help/information neede on a comand APS DVD unit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Galdang

I have obtained a comand APS DVD system for my (to be bought in the near future) new model Vito or Viano.
Reason for this modell is it has DVD navigation & MP3 playing capabilities.
Different from all other comand systems this unit only has the D2B connection
and prob. the power connection.
On the nav DVD part there is also a D2B connection (which is different from the of the comand unit) & a electrical connector.
As you prob. would have guesed i have a "few" questions about this.
Is it possible to get this unit to work in the mentioned model(s) ?
Does anybody has information what i also will be needing to make this a complete working order besides a GPS antenna ?
Maybe there is some electrical documentation on this system in circulation on this forum ?
question, questions, questions....................
I'm a newbie to this forum & i might be overasking things :)

thanks in advance for any answer,

If the VITO DVD Sat/Nav is anything like the W203 version then it is MOST not D2B. It still uses the same fibre cable but not the same system.

If you want something for a vito then I can suggest you purchase a W203 or W463 COMAND 2.0 and install the AUX option with an MP3 player like iPOD or similar.

Make sure you get someone to validate the parts before you buy them.

That's not my first option !
I want a system that is capable of DVD navigation (so i don't have to swap any CD's when going to another country) & i want to be able to play MP3 files on the unit (not on a seperate unit, because i want to control it over the comand).
The nav unit is a seperate one, so i guess it can be mounted anywhere in my car (in the back, beneath the driver's seat, dashboard, where-ever).
the head unit i am talking about is the A 171 820 16 89 001, & the NAV unit is a A220 820 60 85 005.
So at first i want to know what extra parts i need to get this system working. (cabling, GPS antenna etc etc)
Maybe this will help to determine if i am on a road to nowhere, or if there is a possiblity to get this to work.
Thanks for the fast reply btw !!

Not having worked on a vito I recall that other installers use the same parts for navigation as the W203.

Looks like you are needing an Alpine system. I cant see anything in the Vito price list that looks like a DVD navigation.

There is no OEm DVD nav for the Vito or Viano. the only Mb DVD nav systems are forteh S class, new E class & new facelift C class.

I dont know if anyone has ever tried to put a DVD comand into a car its not specified for. - not in the Uk anyway. I think its a whole diffent canbus system for speed pulse, ignition off & illumination.

Sounds like there may be a requirement for some kind of adapter like the canbus adapters used with the comand 2.0 to enable it to be used in different cars.

The only people I can think of to help there would be Megacomm in Germany.

Ive seen pickies of the inside of the new vaneo. Just looks like a Comand out of a W203 C class which runs off cd roms.

I doubt whether not ejecting a cd is going to be worth the problems you will have getting a most bus dvd system to what looks like a d2b system in the Vaneo.

@fuzzer
That was my thought aswell.
When i look at photo's of the interior of the new Viano it looks like this DVD unit has almost the same measurements & might be fitted (perhaps with some adjustments on the cut-out of the frontpanel.
I want this thing to work because it would fit my needs (if that is the correct expression for it)
I find it frustrating to know that there are units on the market that will do what i want to do, but for some reason the manufacturer decided to have it reserved only on particular models.
So i am pretty decisive to get this to work.
As i am new to the world of comand systems i am very grateful to every&any information i can get my hands on.
First i will try to get some information at the dealers if this unit will mechanilly fit the new Viano & i will (for those interested) keep you posted.
So if any of you has additional information on what connection should me made between the head unit & the nav unit i would be very grateful.
Apoligies for my english, as it's not my native language.

WE all desire to have functions our cars are not designed for. The only reason we dont have them is that they dont work.

the only Mb DVD nav systems are forteh S class, new E class & new facelift C class.

Don't forget the new SLK, the Facelifted CLK (out as of the 1st June in Europe and due shortly in the UK), the SL (like the CLK out in Europe shortly in the UK) and the CL. The ML is the odd model out due to the new ML being out next year when DVD nav will become available.

the head unit i am talking about is the A 171 820 16 89 001, & the NAV unit is a A220 820 60 85 005
That is the new DVD headunit from the SLK and unfortunately from what I have heard it will not work in the Viano or the Vito. I have heard that a new DVD nav unit is to be available shortly in those models but I do not remeber when exactly they would be released. I will try and find out for you when and what model designation it will have.

Galdang said:
if i get us some straws, would you help to drink it ? :)

This isnt a contest you do realise .....if you want to change your Vito into a W211 then by all means go ahead. In the mean time the rest of us will faddle around dreaming up ways to get Brabus door pins cheaper.

@miro
I hope i did NOT offend you in any way, cause it wasn't meant that way !!
& i am not trying to change a vito or Viano into a W211.
I have been driving long enough with a seperat Ipaq for the navigation & a standalone MP3 player to know that is very annoying with all kind of cabling lying around etc. etc. I just want to have an excellent A/V system in my car.
I want something better (much better) than i have now.
Maybe (as said before) i am on a road to nowhere, but i am willing to give it a try & i appreciate all the information (&help) i can get.
Furthermore i honestly believe that this kind of "trying" & exchanging information is one of the keyroles for this kinda forums, & hopefully it will benifit all users one way or another.
If there haven't been users in the past trying things, we would never had any comand systems at all in any other car then was buildin by the stealer.

btw..........
talking about a W211
read this :
http://www.w211.de/
Werkstattbericht & Hammer-Auktion
It's in german, but maybe you can read it

Galdang said:
@miro
I hope i did NOT offend you in any way, cause it wasn't meant that way !!
& i am not trying to change a vito or Viano into a W211.
I have been driving long enough with a seperat Ipaq for the navigation & a standalone MP3 player to know that is very annoying with all kind of cabling lying around etc. etc. I just want to have an excellent A/V system in my car.
I want something better (much better) than i have now.
Maybe (as said before) i am on a road to nowhere, but i am willing to give it a try & i appreciate all the information (&help) i can get.
Furthermore i honestly believe that this kind of "trying" & exchanging information is one of the keyroles for this kinda forums, & hopefully it will benifit all users one way or another.
If there haven't been users in the past trying things, we would never had any comand systems at all in any other car then was buildin by the stealer.

Start with COMAND being installed. Then see where it takes you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom