Help - Ipod / Audio 20 problem - will not display song titles / artist or artwork

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OC_Merc

Car
C220 CDI AMG Sport Plus Auto
Hi all,

Hopefully you guys can help me?

When the iPod is connected it plays songs ok but does display song info, instead it display's random 4 letters for a song. Any ideas how to fix? BTW I have used the interface and iPod cables. Thanks in advance.

T

If it helps when I browse I get numerous songs with examples like "DNQN" so I have not got a clue what song is going to play. Problem with ITunes?

Tell us more about the car. Do you have the standard iPod kit (where the info is displayed only on the instrument cluster and there is a single lead hanging out of the glovebox somewhere), or the Media interface which has a socket in the glovebox and a short lead plugged into that ?

If the titles are correct on the iPod itself, it is unlikely to be an itunes problem ..

Have you updated your iPod to the latest firmware ? What iPod is it ?

Richard

I'm having the same problem with my ipod. I used a memory stick and the details showed up on the display as expected (artist genre etc)

My ipod is is 160gb classic from 2008/9ish and impeccably divided by genre, artist etc as i'm a geek! :)

I have c220 which was delivered to me last week. The connection is via usb within the armrest.

I'm wondering if the older models of Ipod give this problem? It shouldn't matter?
Thanks

Hi Richard,

My set up is exactly as Javtronix described. Thinking about, I do think this an ITunes issue, the reason I say this is, last week approx 50% of my 2000 songs showed artwork, song info and now all of my 4300 songs have no song info. I think this a problem for an iTunes guru who has a Merc.

I've had problems with album artwork, I realised in the end that you need to have the music in mp3 format and put it on the pendrive using a windows PC or laptop. Using a Mac makes the pendrive have loads of duplicate hidden files with strange names.

Cheers

Lee

It is an issue with iTunes, I had/have the problem with mine, well and the names of your tracks as stored on your computer.

It happened to me when I deleted iTunes, copied the contents of my iPod to my computer, installed iTunes and then put my music back onto anothe riPod. Anyway, it appears that your iPod displays are the ID3 tags, and the iPod adapter displays are the filenames - or that's the best I can figure out.

You can amend the filenames to match the ID3 tags if you wish, in Windows, however it's a long process.

There is a program called tuneup which you can download, and sits 'sideways' to itunes'. This will recover incorrectly named tracks, dedupe, and search out album artwork.
Not cheap, but can save you hours or even days.

You don't need to pay for any software and it is not an itunes issue. It's just the tag info for your tracks needs fixed, and you can do this easily for free.

Start iTunes, click Music, select any track , then right click and select GET INFO.

Edit all the info in each tab here until you are happy, ie song title, album etc. The last tab is the art work, you can import any artwork you like and save it here. Google image search is your friend.

Save.

Right click again, and "Open in Windows Explorer", this shows you the track, copy this track to your ipod, or sync it, whatever your normal routine.

That should be it.

You don't need to pay for any software and it is not an itunes issue. It's just the tag info for your tracks needs fixed, and you can do this easily for free.

Start iTunes, click Music, select any track , then right click and select GET INFO.

Edit all the info in each tab here until you are happy, ie song title, album etc. The last tab is the art work, you can import any artwork you like and save it here. Google image search is your friend.

Save.

Right click again, and "Open in Windows Explorer", this shows you the track, copy this track to your ipod, or sync it, whatever your normal routine.

That should be it.

How long to do 4,300 tracks?

I have around 32Gb of music and books on mine, wasn't about to start from scratch. I'll catch up the names eventually :)

Save.

That should be it.

I have already been doing this for many a geek year. I always update the info and still cant fathom out why tag information is displaying incorrectly. On many i change the details in the mp3 to correspond with how it transfers over to itunes.

I have used the same mp3's on a usb stick and the information displays as you would expect. It has to be something on the ipod?

had another look of the user manual and it states audio 20 will not recognise ID3 tags ...so looks like it will not recognise meta data on the ipod. Anyone confirm this?

Auio 20 myths?

Audio 20 plays appropriately tagged music stored on USB media and does accept ID3 tags – otherwise none of the cover art or other information would display. The product is woefully under-developed and is in need of bug-fixes.
Manually editing the tags using tools such as MP3Tag or iTunes or Wondershare works as far as players such as iTunes, Windows Media Player, Quicktime, etc. are concerned. However, the changes are only randomly effective in Audio 20 – i.e. some changes take effect but others do not.
The Audio 20 support desk is disgracefully inadequate and the MB Customer Service Desk is even worse. The standard excuse is “Audio 20 is not a Mercedes Benz product”. Following this logic, nor are tyres, windscreen wipers, batteries, spark plugs, hoses, radiators,… etc. Mercedes remains liable to support their customers. Their attitude is not worthy of the marque.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom