Help!! Locked boot with battery disconnected!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melk63

Car
W215 CL600 V12 Bi-Turbo, AMG pack, Designo trim
Help needed please for a stupid plonker! Disconnected the battery in the boot to test if it resets the dash fault code on tyre pressure monitor (don't ask!) and shut the boot manually thinking it will open with the metal part of the key, and now it won't. I cannot find anywhere from inside to get to the boot. Anyone has any ideas?
Mel.

Pop the bonnet, there should be a place for jump starting the car somewhere under there.
Just power that up, put the ignition on, and press the boot release.

Hopefully!

Last edited:
yes, can get inside the car, but the rear seats are fixed as far as I can tell so no way to get to the boot.
Thanks,
Mel.

If you have a spare battery (or can borrow one) there will almost certainly be 'jump lead' terminals under the bonnet that you can use to power the car up.

See the above edited post.:thumb:

Jump terminal as suggested. Mb should take a leaf out of Volvo book and put a dust cover on the boot locks!

Thanks all, but new problem! Where are the jump terminals under the bonnet of on a CL600? I have had a good look but cannot find them for the life of me.
Mel.

You don't need a lot of power - just connect a battery charger to the cigarette lighter socket and turn ignition on - that should be enough to pop the boot solenoid .

You can get cig lighter chargers in Halfords , Maplins etc

Thanks Derek, good suggestion, will get one of these tomorrow as I have a feeling Mercedes forgot to put Jump terminals under the bonnet of the CL. Or may be they thought they are so reliable there would never be a need for one!
Mel.

Thanks Derek, good suggestion, will get one of these tomorrow as I have a feeling Mercedes forgot to put Jump terminals under the bonnet of the CL. Or may be they thought they are so reliable there would never be a need for one!
Mel.
IIRC on 202/203/208/209s they are not obviously marked like they are on BMWs (big red cap) - and look like little more than a connector block for some big cables.

IIRC on 202/203/208/209s they are not obviously marked like they are on BMWs (big red cap) - and look like little more than a connector block for some big cables.

Thanks Steve, Had another look under the bonnet but there is nothing remotely resembling a connector block. The Owner's manual refers only to a battery-to-battery procedure for jump starting so I assume the CL may not have a jump point under the bonnet.
Mel.

Mel, look under the dashboard in the passengers side footwell, you should see the jump-start terminals there marked - and +.

Let us know if it works. :thumb:

Nothing there either. I think I give up now otherwise I'll be playing "Where's Bin Laden" looking for a couple of knobs all around my car!:dk:

Try under the carpet, I'm sure it's in the passengers footwell somewhere.

Or what about under the rear seat? :dk:

You don't need a lot of power - just connect a battery charger to the cigarette lighter socket and turn ignition on - that should be enough to pop the boot solenoid .

You can get cig lighter chargers in Halfords , Maplins etc

Tried this but the key wont turn in the ignition! I suppose it needs power, Is that right?
Mel.

The jump start terminals are the only way if you cant even turn the key!:eek:

One other option, allthough a bit tricky would be to power up the main power lead at the starter motor as this should go straight to the battery. I have no idea how hard it is to get at the starter though.

Are you sure you haven't stolen this car ? Because your key doesn't seem to fit the boot or the ignition...I think you should look for the spare key because it seems like the one you are using doesn't work. You ignition should turn with or without power

The black triangular key worked perfectly fine in the ignition before this episode so it is the original key. I'm sure the fact that it doesn't work now is caused by disconnecting the battery. To open the boot mechanically, you can only use the metal part that is inserted inside the black triangular key.
Mel.

Just a thought, can you get to the fuseboard and power up the fuse controling the boot release?

Have you tried putting WD40 or Penetrating oil inside the lock key hole via the aerosol straw?
Your metal key wont work as a result of the lock being seized due to lack of use.

Dec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom