Help! Locked out of car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nomadros

Car
CLK 350 sp1, CLK 320
Hi...I currently have a CLK in my garage with a dead battery and the doors locked. Last time this happened I was able to use the key to get into the boot and crawl through to get the door open. This time neither the boot lock or the door lock will oblige....any tips? Failing getting the door or boot open is there a tricksy way to get the bonnet open so I can at least charge the battery? In me defence, this car is my girlfriend's, does about 600 miles a year and she "doesn't have time" to follow my instructions of "take the bl**dy thing for a drive for at least 2 hours once a month."

Get some oil or silicone spray in the door and boot locks. Sometimes vibrating the key with something like an orbital sander shakes the tumblers loose . May take a while for lubricant to do its job.

get under the car. connect earth to a suitable point and connect 12v to the main feed cable of the starter motor (put a 12v Bulb in series to prevent major damage after a short). then your car is powered up.

get under the car. connect earth to a suitable point and connect 12v to the main feed cable of the starter motor (put a 12v Bulb in series to prevent major damage after a short). then your car is powered up.

Nice one.... very, very nice one

Sounds like you've done that before :)

Definitive ANSWER to the problem of how to get into a Merc with a knacked battery and the emergency key won't work. This is specific to a CLK but will probably work with other Mercs.
KEYWORDS: flat battery emergency key Mercedes CLK bonnet locked.

I tried the starter motor idea above first but I couldn't get to it, so....
1) Jack the front of the car up, remembering to block the car into position in case the jack slips.
2) Remove the under engine protection panel. 6No 8mm dia hex head screws.
3) Crawl under the car and look up into front of the engine compartment. Your eyes should be just behind the radiator and your body should be sticking out the front of the car.
4) To the left at the top of the radiator you will see the left bonnet lock. Push your arm up (there's is a good bit of space) and push the locking arm towards the middle of the front of the car. It's easy to do and to see and you will hear the bonnet pop. However, this is only one side so...
5) The tricky bit is the right hand release as it's got "electrics." If you look at the right hand release you will see it's covered by some sort of junction box. The box is split down the middle, so stick a screwdriver in there and twist. Repeat until the box has an approx 4mm linear opening along its length. The right hand release arm is about 2/3 along it's length towards the outer side of the car. You should be able to just see it. Push the screwdriver against it pushing towards the outside of the car...you don't have to do this hard...and pop.
6) You can now get out and open the bonnet as normal.
7) Charge your battery whilst berating your girlfriend about leaving a car nose first in a garage for months.

Hope this helps someone

There is a method on You Tube which I found recently if this helps.

Now lubricate the boot lock and get the key working in it.
You will regret it if you don't.

Cheers..is it for getting into a Merc or for giving the girlfriend a good tongue lashing?:D

Hey, hey, hey. Steady on. Not THAT sort of forum:devil::D

Battery Brain

I can recommend a battery brain too.. Ideal for "occasional use" vehicles and the remote control one is simple to use :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom