HELP: loss of power on E200 auto

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kildair

Please Help. Over the last couple of days, I lost power in my 1997 E200 auto whilst driving. It felt like driving a manual car and putting it into 5th gear at 20mph. Any ideas? The MAF has been suggested as the culprit but I don't know if this is something that someone like myself (a complete novice) can do or if it needs to go to a garage. Many thanks

It could be the MAF and if so it is a simple replacement but important to buy genuine ones. The MAF is located in the pipe that connects the air filter housing to the throttle body. It has an electrical connector on it. I would suggest disconnecting it and drive the car to see if it makes any difference. After that you probably need to have the codes read to get some guidance. Do a search on ebay for Mass Air Flow sensors and you will see a picture of one and it will help you locate it.

Good luck

MFK

I will probably go to Bosch. Would they be able to deal with the codes?

ok, so unplugged the MAF, took it for a drive around the block. It was better but still losing power...sort of hesitation when putting foot on accelerator. So took out the MAF. It did not look particularly dirty but gave it a clean and back it went. Same again...some improvement but still some hestitation. Any ideas please....!!!

It could still be the MAF sometimes its not so effective on smaller engines when its unplugged.

It cant be the O2 as the lamp is not on, the EGR would not do that.

Fault codes do not always show up the MAF, other than trying a new one its too hard to comment.

My V70 MAF went last week, that runs well unpugged and cleaning makes no difference. they can just go out of spec

It is a 1997 R reg. How do you check the spark plugs? This may sound stupid but how does one know that it is not the gearbox?

How does your engine idel. Is it still when running? if yes, then I would say its the maff as the other say.

idels fine as usual at about 6-700 but then occ briefly revs up and then corrects itself

Would anyone consider buying a used MAF. I have quotes from Dronsfield Mercedes and Prestige Allparts. The car rpms are eretic when at a stop in D mode (auto) but are normal if in N

This could be a vacuum problem if the car has full power for normal driving,, an air leak could do this.

The MAF may not be the problem, and never a secondhand one, they can stop working at any time.

In your opening post you said no power, then try a MAF.

TTurning on the engine, fine no problems. Get the car into D, then setting off, there is some hestitation. Also when at traffic light at a stop in D, the revs are slightly erratic as if it wants to stall. When driving, as the car changes gear, again some hesitation and I noticed like a knock from what I think is the exhaust. I hope this sort of makes sense:confused:

Sounds more like a misfire to me. Firstly check all the HT electrics.
One test is to open the bonnet when it's dark and have a look for flashing or you can buy a cheap tester and check the output of each plug lead.

Thank you. I will check that. I think that you are probably right. Took it for a long drive and the problem seems to be when acceleratinf either from standstill or when moving. Driving at constant speed seems to be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom