Help! Lost MMS Messages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitenemesis

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RX450h F-Sport with Takumi Pack 2020
I have started receiving Multi-Media messages from colleagues (as a picture speaks a thousand words!) trouble is when I am in the car all I get is a "No text" SMS notification. :confused:

Now, I can understand the MB SAP module cannot handle MMS but surely the messages shouldn't be "lost"? I can't recover them from my phone, they're not held in the COMAND. They don't get forwarded to my phone once disconnected from the car.

Anyone else experience this? Any ideas?

I do not receive MMS messages often but I have a few messages that Comand cannot display. I've assumed this being the MMS notification SMS which isn't readable.

Now that you say this happens when you receive an MMS message, it confirms what I was assuming. I never spent the time to check it.

I guess there is nothing one can do about it. It really is a problem if a message cannot be retrieved even manually.

I haven't received an MMS while I'm in the car so I don't know what happens.

However, I have found that SMS messages received while in the car are stored in SIM, rather than phone, memory. Could this also be the case with MMS?

Looks like you have something there amwebby!

Checked my SIM messages and there was an SMS which had a title that looked very much like a link to a wap site. Unfortunately when I tried to open the message I got an error saying "Massage Format not Supported" :(

I know if a phone that doesn't support MMS receives such a message you get a link to the Network website so you can collect the image/video.

Not sure why my phone says the message format is not supported though. Still means I can't retrieve my MMS...

My Nokia N73 help says, "To view messages on your SIM card, you must copy them to a folder on your device. Scroll to a message and select Options > Copy"

My Nokia N73 help says, "To view messages on your SIM card, you must copy them to a folder on your device. Scroll to a message and select Options > Copy"

Yes, thanks, I did that but no luck. that's when I got the error message!

Hmmm, did you try reading the MMS from the SIM card? I only ask because I have been able to read SMSs I have received this way from the SIM.

Hmmm, did you try reading the MMS from the SIM card? I only ask because I have been able to read SMSs I have received this way from the SIM.

The SIM card cannot store MMS messages. This SMS message that appears on the SIM is the message that is supposed to tell the phone how to collect the MMS message (via GPRS). It does not work with the Peiker puck as it does not support GPRS (I guess it would not work for MMS anyway when the car UI would not be able to handle the MMS message). What is odd is the fact that once the reception fails, you cannot retrieve it manually even if I thought at least every necessary info was available on this strange looking SMS.

Thanks Diesel Benz, I thought that was the case. This would appear to be an inherent limitation of the BT SAP profile.

However, like you I am mystified why the SMS, which as you rightly say, should be a link to the original MMS, does not work, either from SIM memory or the phone's memory.

Yes, a mystery! I received two "No Text" SMS messages on the COMAND for the one MMS sent.
After amywebs advice I checked my SIM messages and there was a message with a title including a WAP address.
I copied the message to my phone memory and tried to open it, my phone responded with the error message "Message format not supported".
On a previous phone (many phones back!) I didn't set up to recieve MMS and when some one sent me a MMS I received a standard text giving a web address on the Orange (my provider) website where I could view the images.
I thought this is what this current message was trying to do but for some reason my E65 doesn't support that. Perhaps the text got corrupted somehow.
I will try and set up a test and see if it happens again.....

Looks like you have something there amwebby!

Checked my SIM messages and there was an SMS which had a title that looked very much like a link to a wap site. Unfortunately when I tried to open the message I got an error saying "Massage Format not Supported" :(

I know if a phone that doesn't support MMS receives such a message you get a link to the Network website so you can collect the image/video.

Not sure why my phone says the message format is not supported though. Still means I can't retrieve my MMS...

Now you have me intrigued???:bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Yes, a mystery! I received two "No Text" SMS messages on the COMAND for the one MMS sent.
After amywebs advice I checked my SIM messages and there was a message with a title including a WAP address.
I copied the message to my phone memory and tried to open it, my phone responded with the error message "Message format not supported".
On a previous phone (many phones back!) I didn't set up to recieve MMS and when some one sent me a MMS I received a standard text giving a web address on the Orange (my provider) website where I could view the images.
I thought this is what this current message was trying to do but for some reason my E65 doesn't support that. Perhaps the text got corrupted somehow.
I will try and set up a test and see if it happens again.....
The problem is the operator assumes you have received the message but COMAND cannot display it.

Go to Messages/Options/Settings/Multimedia Message

And set Multimedia Retrieval to Manual

Then you should receive the correct SMS with the retrieval settings.

The problem is the operator assumes you have received the message but COMAND cannot display it.

Go to Messages/Options/Settings/Multimedia Message

And set Multimedia Retrieval to Manual

Then you should receive the correct SMS with the retrieval settings.

That sounds like a brilliant idea, but I tried it with my phone (Nokia E90) and the result is still the same. Does it work with other phones?

I tried manual retrieval "out of car" and it worked fine. But in this case the SMS was directly stored to the phone memory at reception. Now when the message was first stored to the SIM (when received at the car) and then moved to phone memory, I get the "message format not supported" error message. :mad:

OK. I have an E90 here. I will check the software version and check if it works with that. Also checking an N73. We have an Aston Martin V8 Vantage and a Mercedes-Benz CL500, both with SAP Bluetooth, so will check on both.

Initial tests showed the same result. The E90 has an older version of the software than yours but it may just be a different version as the phone is Greek, which is the other buggeration factor, as MMS messages do not work at all while roaming. I'm going to do some further tests with UK SIMs.

My E65 has the most upto date software. It seems to be the saving directly to SIM that screws the message...

I'd have to agree to that. All my tests show the same thing. The only work around I can suggest is setting the network to GSM only before you get in the car. This seems to block the reception of MMS messages until SAP is disconnected. This way at least you don't lose those MMS messages sent while you're in the car.

EDIT: This doesn't work. It was only a coincidence that I wasn't receiving the messages until after SAP was disconnected, the delay in receiving messages was probably due to network latency.

Last edited:
I'd have to agree to that. All my tests show the same thing. The only work around I can suggest is setting the network to GSM only before you get in the car. This seems to block the reception of MMS messages until SAP is disconnected. This way at least you don't lose those MMS messages sent while you're in the car.

Was this for a "non-UK" SIM? I have my E90 at "GSM only" all the time and it makes no difference to MMS message reception. Perhaps you get connected to a different network when allowing UMTS (with no MMS roaming?)?

Seems like the issue could be the way the BT SAP device handles and transfers SMS-messages to the phone. Or it could be the phone not able to use the messages from the SIM properly. I even tried with a S40 phone where you do not have to transfer the message first to the phone, you can read it directly from the SIM (so frustrating when basic phone can do more than a smart phone from the same manufacturer).

Who is making the Aston Martin BT SAP device? Interesting if they come from a different source and behave the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom