Help: Luxury Vinyl Tiles

• Thread starter Deleted member 65149
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 65149

Having scoured the Internet and become even more confused, I need some advice please. As mentioned elsewhere one of my jobs while my wife is away for a month is to do a partial refit of our family bathroom. One of the things I want to do is replace the existing carpet (eek) with stone effect Luxury Vinyl Tiles (LVT).

I seem to have four basic choices: (a) tiles that you stick down using liquid adhesive, (b) ready glued tiles, (c) click fit tiles, and (d) loose-lay tiles that rely on their weight and backing to hold them in place. I’ve never used types (a) or (b) and have always thought of them as thin and unforgiving, with the (b) versions being liable to coming unstuck. I’ve used click laminate flooring with, if I say so myself, great success. So I would expect the LVT click systems (c) to be equally successful. I’ve only heard of the loose lay (d) systems since looking for what to put down in the bathroom.

If I opted for type (c) everywhere says that I need to leave expansion gaps all round the outer edges. Because it’s only a smallish bathroom, I do wonder if that’s really necessary, and I don’t like the usual method of fitting quadrant over the gaps to hide them. As an alternative, I’ve considered cutting the bottom of the skirting board using my oscillating multi-tool saw, and simply letting expansion under the bath where the MDF panels are.

The loose lay tiles (such as those from Karndean) look like a good alternative because they’re construction is less vulnerable to changing dimensions so no expansion gaps are required. But they are expensive (particularly in the case of Karndean’s because I’d need to buy 2 packs of 10 tiles and have 8 tiles left over!)

So here are my questions. Whatever version I go for, if I can ever make up my mind and get colour approval from SWMBO, there will be the issue of fitting under or around the toilet (which I won’t be changing). Basically, should I cut around the base, or remove the toilet and place it back on top of the tiles? Cutting round could be tricky, but two of my few qualities are patience and persistence in getting it right. However, will it be ok to not leave an ugly expansion gap? If alternatively I take the close-coupled toilet off, could I possibly have problems refitting it with a 5mm tile underneath? Also, could the weight of the toilet (plus whoever is seated on it) press into the vinyl tile and compress it, leading to connection issues?

I recently used these in the bathroom , Colours Grey Natural oak effect Waterproof Luxury vinyl click flooring 2.20m² Pack | Departments | DIY at B&Q

Easy to work with as they are thin , i left a gap around the edges and fitted edging as it makes it so much neater. The toilet was removed and refitted on top of the tiles.

Only PITA was i had to fit ply to the existing floor to raise the level as the combined thickness of the original floor was around 10mm , the new vinyl is only around 3mm thick and it MUST sit on 1mm underlay , no more.

Kenny

A few points:
1. Laminate click flooring WILL perish in a bathroom.

2. Go for Karndean, I’ve got it all through my hallway and into the dining room and it is fantastic.

3. By the time you’ve scribed your cuts around the toilet base it would end up being quicker simply removing the toilet instead.

If you end up going for b) then put plywood down first and use a contact adhesive. Otherwise the tiles will ‘curl’ during the different seasons.

Remove WC, take up all old floor covering, screw a sheet of 4mm ply over existing floorboards, PVA it as a key, lay new ceramic tiles, grout, refit WC job done.

6mm. But still not enough to tile onto. :p

We've just had both our bathrooms (en suite and family) done using click fit LVT.

1. Remove the toilet - fitter did this in just a few minutes! Not had a problem since.
2. We opted to remove the existing pine skirting boards and replace them (after laying the LVT) with UPVC in white - wife really happy as it looks good and is wipe clean. Ran a bead of silicone between the LVT and the UPVC. For an example of the sort of stuff available : Cladding - Architraves & Skirting - White - Bliby Plastics Ltd
3. Floor needs to be level. We were lucky, removing the old laminate (c. 2003 vintage) revealed ply had already been laid over the chipboard T&G floorboards.
4. The "floating" installation you have chosen has the advantage of being easy to remove and replace in the future, whereas a glued down floor might not be so easy! However, I was advised to use a thin underlay, only needed a small amount not the standard 15m roll (!) and found it on Ebay. LVT Click Underlay - Vinyl Flooring - Sound / Acoustic Reduction - Built in DPM | eBay
5. We used Sirona Click Stone LVT rather than Quick-Step as the wife preferred the colours.

HTH.

I’m not going for ceramic floor tiles in the bathroom. We have them in our ensuite, they look great but are cold - well, that’s what my wife and daughter say. LVTs are warm and more forgiving. Neither am I going for laminate click flooring, mainly for the reasons SLK gave about it perishing over time. The bathroom floor base is standard modern sheet ply in good condition. I was just planning on a few extra nails by the joins to stop squeezing and some light filling if and where necessary.

This thread proves there’s more than one way to skin a cat.

We've just had both our bathrooms (en suite and family) done using click fit LVT.

1. Remove the toilet - fitter did this in just a few minutes! Not had a problem since.
2. We opted to remove the existing pine skirting boards and replace them (after laying the LVT) with UPVC in white - wife really happy as it looks good and is wipe clean. Ran a bead of silicone between the LVT and the UPVC. For an example of the sort of stuff available : Cladding - Architraves & Skirting - White - Bliby Plastics Ltd
3. Floor needs to be level. We were lucky, removing the old laminate (c. 2003 vintage) revealed ply had already been laid over the chipboard T&G floorboards.
4. The "floating" installation you have chosen has the advantage of being easy to remove and replace in the future, whereas a glued down floor might not be so easy! However, I was advised to use a thin underlay, only needed a small amount not the standard 15m roll (!) and found it on Ebay. LVT Click Underlay - Vinyl Flooring - Sound / Acoustic Reduction - Built in DPM | eBay
5. We used Sirona Click Stone LVT rather than Quick-Step as the wife preferred the colours.

HTH.
Excellent advice. Thanks Chris.

I’m not going for ceramic floor tiles in the bathroom. We have them in our ensuite, they look great but are cold - well, that’s what my wife and daughter say. LVTs are warm and more forgiving. Neither am I going for laminate click flooring, mainly for the reasons SLK gave about it perishing over time. The bathroom floor base is standard modern sheet ply in good condition. I was just planning on a few extra nails by the joins to stop squeezing and some light filling if and where necessary.

Please use screws. Nails end up ‘squeaking’ :)

Put new raised floors in both our bathrooms for wet underfloor heating, 4 m ply on top of floor panels , screwed in, fill gaps and screw holes then had Karndean laid professionally, looks and feel marvellous, chose top grade wood strip design, everyone who sees it thinks it is wood. So good we laid the same in our hall and now saving to do the same in the lounge. Only problem is the cost!!

Any chance you can surprise the wife with having a jacuzzi fitted while the wife is away,:D joking aside,if you are fitting on floorboards you need to lay board down and then choose the tiles you want to lay I have always used screws to lay board down it is a small area and I suggest you will not need to allow for expansion so cut the tile to fit exact,if you are not up to removing the loo then cut up to it and then depending on the colour of the tiles find a match at screwfix they do a number of colour sealants I will end here too much drink watching world cup.

Any chance you can surprise the wife with having a jacuzzi fitted while the wife is away,:D joking aside,if you are fitting on floorboards you need to lay board down and then choose the tiles you want to lay I have always used screws to lay board down it is a small area and I suggest you will not need to allow for expansion so cut the tile to fit exact,if you are not up to removing the loo then cut up to it and then depending on the colour of the tiles find a match at screwfix they do a number of colour sealants I will end here too much drink watching world cup.
We already have a hot tub / jacuzzi in the garden. That’ll do for her. :)

HTH.

I could see that causing a few problems - you don't mention reinstalling it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom