Help: Luxury Vinyl Tiles

• Thread starter Deleted member 65149
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you're going to have ceramic floor tiles in kitchens, bathrooms, conservatories, first you must fit underfloor heating.

I do hope your street isn’t liable to flooding. Your love of expanding foam will make your house very buoyant. :p
I'd rather float in a flood than sink Ant, can't fight the usefulness of expanding foam as you well know!

Just imagine me floating down the streets blowing a victory trumpet out of the bedroom window while all the other muppets are drowning in their stupid unbuoyant houses.

I can recommend Quick Step as a product. I have it in my bathroom kitchen and Hallway. Looks good. Easy to install and good good value for money.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Agree with you about Quick Step - we nearly went wwith that for our bathrooms, but the wife preferred the grey colours in Sirona Quick Stone compared to theirs - and Sirona was a bit cheaper due to their pack size and the small amount we needed.

As a slight aside, I spoke to Quick Step about glued or floating installation, and they said they recommend floating with an underlay. Interestingly their recommended installer for our area said they always glue LVT! Personally, I'm happy with our choice of a thin underlay with damp proof membrane (DPM).

Agree with you about Quick Step - we nearly went wwith that for our bathrooms, but the wife preferred the grey colours in Sirona Quick Stone compared to theirs - and Sirona was a bit cheaper due to their pack size and the small amount we needed.

As a slight aside, I spoke to Quick Step about glued or floating installation, and they said they recommend floating with an underlay. Interestingly their recommended installer for our area said they always glue LVT! Personally, I'm happy with our choice of a thin underlay with damp proof membrane (DPM).
Yes. We went floating with underlay. In fact in the bathroom it was laid over the original lino which was in good shape but out of date and on top of that underlay. The effect is that there is a lovely spongeeness about it which is great when walking on it in bare feet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Just to conclude this thread. I’ve finally finished the bathroom and I’m pleased with it. The bosses (wife and daughter) have yet to inspect it because they don’t get back from Mongolia until Thursday evening. But photographic approval has been granted.

C554B265-3FD1-4EDB-9407-5DA31C587C34.jpeg

It took a long time to get the floor level, needing more than just covering with ply because of a significant (10mm dip). I filled the dip with self-levelling compound (bloomin expensive stuff), sanded down some high spots, then put down some ply. Then I used my multi tool to cut the bottom of the skirting board all the way round to accommodate the thickness of the tiles and underlay. Next I covered the floor with underlay specifically for LVT (thanks to Chrishazle for the advice and links) that I fixed in place with staples.

I bought three packs of LVT tiles from UK Flooring Direct - the people who had the tiles that were the right colour to get management approval. When they arrived, one of the packs was damaged. With the damage limited to just one side, by being careful I was able to use those tiles where the damage was cut off anyway. I reported this to the seller who said they would reimburse me for the cost of one pack; I’ve yet to receive the refund. They were easy to lay, just needed a bit of manipulating to get them to go under the skirting board as planned.

I had to buy an offset waste adaptor for the loo which was now higher when placed back on top of the tiles. I also had to extend the water feed to the cistern. Nice and easy. Fortunately the pedestal for the sink had been badly placed originally and not set into the sink’s cutout. So I just had to loosen off the screws into the wall, lift it up a bit, slide under the pedestal, and lower the sink onto it. I didn’t even disturb the silicone sealant around the sink.

Finally, talking of silicone sealant, I learnt the hard way that this heat we’re “enjoying” isn’t conducive to easy application. When putting new sealant around the bath (onto which I’d fitted new panels) it was going off in seconds, leaving me little or no time to smooth it out. What I’ve done will have to do for now until we get back to normal British weather. Most people would be happy with it, but I’m a fussy bastard!

Sounds like a result, hope management eventual inspection report is same as photo result, glad I could help - we're also really pleased with ours, and for once management has been nothing but complimentary. Just wish I could get the fitter back to correct the sealing error at the base of the back shower panel - really pleased with panels rather than the tiles we replaced them with, but made a mistake ordering panels without the bottom groove to sit into the seal, the silicone is leaking and I'm having problems getting the fitter back to correct this - and he's been paid so I don't even have the "outstanding invoice" stick to beat him with!

Another vote for Amtico.

We have it throughout kitchen, downstairs hallway and adjoining rooms.

In kitched been down over 12 years and still in excellent condition despite the best daily efforts of large dogs and oafish children. Has a really tough wear surface

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom