HELP Me! 350 CDI vs 350 CGI

Which should I go for?

• CDI - Diesel option 1

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • CGI - Petrol option 2

Votes: 17 70.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EeZee

Car
BMW 335d
Hi Peeps! It's good to be here and I hope to soon acquire a lovely W212 E Class Cabriolet this week. Your advice is appreciated on the following, these cars will be going through an auction I am watching this week and I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the following;

Option 1 (Photos attached, grade 2 condition because of curbed wheels)
Mercedes E350 CDI Sport
2011/11
68k Miles
4 Mercedes services
Spec; Air scarves, 19 inch wheels, Command
White
1755027_9999999_357091848_004.jpg

1755027_9999999_357091848_009.jpg

Option 2 (No photos but Grade 1 condition)
Mercedes E350 CGI Sport
50k Miles
No history present
Spec; Air scarves, command, harmon kardon
Palladium Silver with red leather (Great combo)

This is an example photo ;
media.jpg

So obvious conundrum being;

Diesel vs Petrol (Petrol rarer, real world mpg? )
19 inch wheels vs Harmon Kardon (Is the stock stereo sufficient? )
White w Black leather vs Grey with Red leather

I test drove a 62 plate 350 CDI Convertible today and quite surprised how refined it was, it was much slower than my 335d but a different kind of car altogether.

I expect the Option 1 white to do close to £15,000 with the Option 2 £13,000 - £14,000

What would you go for and why?

EDIT: I should note I do approximately 15k - 20k of mixed driving. My daily commute is 10 miles e/w but I visit home once a month which is a 4 hour drive e/w.

Last edited:
Option 1 just on basis of history.

If I could get option 2 for £12k then I'd go option 2

HK is a must have tbh

My only concern with option 1 is if your a bloke driving a white convertible well I'll let you figure out the rest (i can say that btw ;) )

I would suggest with option 2 we could get the mercedes service info through the trade, so that isn't of too much of a concern.

The stock system I tested today did seem quite tame, as did the 18 inch wheels. I had wind noise over 110 mpg too through the window, car I tested was 62 plate with 30k on..

I would suggest with option 2 we could get the mercedes service info through the trade, so that isn't of too much of a concern.

The stock system I tested today did seem quite tame, as did the 18 inch wheels. I had wind noise over 110 mpg too through the window, car I tested was 62 plate with 30k on..

Change my vote to option 2 then. Better engine, better sound, better spec, better colour combo.

I'd suggest that you check it actually HAS a service history before you buy it - it may well have missed a service or two.

PLEASE tell us how you achieved the 110mpg! :D

Option two petrol nicer than agricultural MB diesels history not a problem as long as it comes at the right price

Well it looks like a very one sided poll! Would be interested to hear rationale behind peoples votes as I'm fairly new to Mercedes.

I have the petrol engine in my E350 estate and it's a gem - very smooth and powerful - I would imagine it would be a lot more fun in the cabriolet as well. Also these engines are pretty bullet proof now the cam shaft problem has been resolved and there's no turbo, diesel injectors or DPF issues to worry about.

Should option 1 with 68k have had more than 4 services?.... petrol before fuel of the devil any way! Good luck and hope you get the one you want and enjoy it!!

Tony.

No contest. Option 2. Bag of nails diesels are bad enough in saloons and estates where it's only everyone else who has to suffer the noise. There's no way you want to be sat in traffic with the top down and having to suffer the death watch beetle. Diesels and convertibles go together like Sunni and Shia. Diesel is also getting a bad name for emissions now, something that could come to haunt you at a later date.

Option 2 also better for colour combination IMO. Red leather looks stunning topless and doesn't get quite as hot when left out in the sun.

Last edited by a moderator:
The White diesel went through the auction this morning, and achieved £15,200 before auction fees & 2 bald tyres. Nowhere close to being a bargain in the end, white cars seem to be doing almost £1,000 above CAP in the auctions at the moment.

Option 2 runs Friday morning, and CAP Clean is £13,900. I've found an advert dating back to Mid 2013 and the car was retailed from Mercedes Poole 'approved used' at £22,995.

Used Mercedes-Benz E Class cars for sale with PistonHeads
(If the link doesn't load up correct then click it again - for some reason it then directs you to the correct ad)

Could this be a good indication it has seen a few services? My budget is 15k so pretty confident I will win the auction on Friday, shortly before flying out to Thailand for 3 weeks! Haha!

so option 2 has at least service history to 37k.

Tony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom