Help me buy with my head not my heart

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NicDale

Car
'91 190E 2.5-16V
Been looking for a C36 AMG for a few months, seriously for a few weeks. One which i really liked sold while i ummed and aaahed about it, however its now up for sale with another dealer for £1k more. I'm reluctant to line someone elses pocket for more money than whats need but i understand how a business works and hats off to him for being astute.

Anyway another car i've idly watched for the last few months has been a w210 E36 AMG. We currently have a W210 E320 which the wife uses. Upon seeing the car in question i kind of fell for it, i definitlely like it and i could always run it for a few months while looking for a C36 and then sell her E320 and give her the E36.

Either way the amount that i drive/where i drive/how i drive it wouldn't make a difference to me if it was a C or an E both have a great engine and capable chassis.

However, and theres always one of them, the E that i like has no service history, it's got a few old MOTs and a story from the salesman about how he knew the previous owner and that it was serviced at a main dealer who went bust, doesn't explain the lack of a service book though does it? Rand MB Customer Services and they informed me from the chassis number that it is indeed an E36 but no there isn't any history recorded on their systems. They did only start keeping digital records since 02 apparently hence there could be a history but it might be a ball ache trying to track it down.

Now the car in question has been inspected and driven by 2 of my mates both of whom swear that its a good one, drives well, autobox changes smoothly etc oil was clean before it was started so appeared to have been serviced at some point.

So i guess what i am asking is would you buy an AMG without a service history when it could be possibly clocked? It doesn't apppear abused though and drove really well and am assured by 2 trusted friends that it is in good condition.

Car in question is - http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/763119.htm

Nic

Just clicked on the link...that is a seriously low price for an E36 with lowish miles etc.....have you run a HPI check or RAC Data check to see if the mileage checks out??

You mention that your mates have looked at it, but are they familiar with W210's and have they checked it out for rust, ie behind the door rubbers etc etc.

If it all checks out I can't see how it will depreciate much more and strikes me as being a lot of car for the money.

I know what you're saying about service histories but they're not the be all and end all either. My father had a beetle for over 30 years, it was always garaged and serviced. The car wanted for nothing and yet he never kept any history for it. None at all.

Yup they know where they rust and its not that rusty. HPI check is being done tomorrow by a mate of mine who works at a VW dealer - full check for free.

Nic, where was the c36 that was up for a grand extra at a dealer?

Yup they know where they rust and its not that rusty. HPI check is being done tomorrow by a mate of mine who works at a VW dealer - full check for free.

I once bought a Mercedes Sprinter van out of Auto Trader.
4 years old, 2 owners, 101,000 miles and great condition. Advertised with history but seller couldn't find it!

Took it out on a 70 mile round trip and was pleased as punch.
The van went like a train, tons of power and smooth with it.

Bought on the Thursday, cleaned, polished and tinkered with it over the weekend (my new toy) and was getting costs for new tyres, alarm, hi-fi etc...

On the Sunday afternoon in bright sunshine, my wife noticed that the van had the traces of lettering along the hi-roof. The lettering revealed that the van was owned by a dispatch company.

Monday morning, I called the dispatch company and asked for the history.

"We run the vans for 3 years (on lease I should think) then we get rid of them". "We keep the history for 12 months after dispersal and then get rid of all paperwork". "But I can tell you that most of the vans that leave us at 3 years old have 375,000 to 400,000 miles on them":eek:

I bought the van from a private individual and took the van back to him straight away and said I wasn't happy with it and that I was buying my next door neighbours newer van instead (which I did).

I don't know if the guy I bought the van from was involved in the scam or not, (he was pleasant and articulate) but he gave me my cash back minus a small fee for him having to re-sell the van and I was happy.

However, he registered the van as sold to me on the day of sale so I was an owner.

Around 6-8 months later I got a call from Cheshire Trading Standards.
"Are you Mr ****, did you used to own a MB Sprinter"

It transpired that the van was sold to another person who found out it's true mileage and contacted Cheshire Trading Standards.

Trading Standards told me that this van was part of a huge clocking operation, involving 180 Sprinters all bought, over time, at auction from the same leasing company and then taken out of use for a year (long enough to tart them up and CONVENIENTLY long enough for the service history to vanish!

As I mentioned earlier, that van was superb to drive and truly thundered along, but so well engineered was it, that I couldn't even notice the difference of say, 300,000 miles on the clock.

They wouldn't have got away with this on a Transit or any other van.

But because of Mercedes superior engineering and build quality it really wasn't that difficult to deceive me:eek:

Beware, be Very Aware.
If in doubt, do without;)

Last edited:
I'm not an expert on the W210 in particular, but have a fair amount of knowledge from owning several and looking at dozens of MBs - that driver's seat looks like it's done slightly more than 86k IMHO.

It's a cheap car for sure, to be honest I don't think that much of this matters at that sort of money - less than £3k is peanuts for such a car and if the worst should happen (gearbox or engine problem, say), you're not going to lose a fortune moving it on.

It'd surely break for close to the asking price (wheels, interior, bumpers, exhaust etc etc)

If you like the car and can live with the lack of history (not a deal-breaker on a sub £3k car), and it runs/drives well then why not? :)

Will

Anyway another car i've idly watched for the last few months has been a w210 E36 AMG.

Must admit I didn't even know there was such a thing! Must be rare?

Must admit I didn't even know there was such a thing! Must be rare?

I've seen quite a few over the years, I think they just fall under the radar as most people are after the '55 V8.

Hasn't forum member Janner got one? :)

Will

After a bit of Googling, it seems the E36 W210 was only made for 1 year (1996)? Replaced by the E50/E60 for 1997, then the familiar E55 from 1998 onwards.

Email from Motoring Legends

Hi,

Many thanks for your email, this vehicle actually just came in p/x to us against a 190 Cosworth we had in stock. We allowed the customer a good p/x value on the car and there has been some necessary work to the car to bring it back in order. There are also some paint blemishes that we intend to sort before moving it at this full price – hence why our price is higher. Should you wish to take the car with the existing paint blemishes then we can discuss a lower price with you.

Many thanks again for your email. Please do not hesitate to contact me at any point.

Kind Regards

Patrick White

Motoring Legends

Nice.

Just clicked on the link...that is a seriously low price for an E36 with lowish miles etc.....have you run a HPI check or RAC Data check to see if the mileage checks out??
That dealer always seems to have the cheapest AMG's around.

He had the red C55 AMG for £13,000 discussed a few times on here (now sold), and currently has a C36 for £2950.
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/822915.htm

Email from Motoring Legends

Nice.

Its now a motoring legend so its got to be worth an extra grand:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom