Help me choose a replacement Merc

Which replacement car for Matt?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

se97mlm

Car
'98(R) Silver C240 Elegance
Ok guys 'n' gals, the time has come to start thinking about a replacement for Helga the C240. I have been living in Stuttgart for 6 months now, and the right hand drive and abundance of lovely Mercs about has got me thinking about a change of Wagon.

The car must be a cabrio or roadster, as the weather is so super here in the summer and i've always fancied one. Choices as i see it are as follows:

New SLK200k with a few options for 42k Euros
Year old SLK 200k as above for 32k Euros
Year old SLK280 or 350 for 36k Euros
Post 2001 CLK 430 cabrio for 20k Euros

What do you reckon? If you vote, can you give me a reason to help the choice - it's too difficult!!

Last edited:
I would go for the V6 engined cars anytime. New SLK is lovely.

stargazerplus said:
I would go for the V6 engined cars anytime. New SLK is lovely.

ditto

i voted for all 3 SLK options. nice car with roof off. and the 200 handles and goes well enough unless you want performance.

If the year old car has every option that you want, and it is the correct colour that you want, then I will vote for the year old car, but if you can afford the new car and you want specific options with your own choice of colour then I will vote for number one??

I used to be indecisive...

but now I'm not too sure!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Good luck with the decision,

blow it I vote you go into mega debt and buy a nice SL....

You know it makes sense :cool: :)

John

The CLK throws it a bit as it's a four seater which obviously the SLK isn;t - so it's a bit leftfield really.

I voted for year old 280/350. If you can get a 350 for 32K Euros - bargain!!! - as long as it's specced up though!

I wouldn't touch the 200 - it's not got enough go in it. Ok for a sedate drive - which if that's what you want then great. Otherwise - go V6 :devil:

I voted CLK430 - V8 - 4 seats and not quite so much of a ladies car as the others :D.

voted CLK 430 too .. damn fast car, and a classic shape that will look great for a while. I may be biased of course :)

a newer V6 is nice but a V8 is a V8 ...

The new SLK looks ridiculous in my view, with the over stylized nose. It just looks like it trying way too hard.

My principal worry with the CLK is that it may have the same vague steering as my C class, can any of you CLK people confirm or deny this?

CLK, no question. Drop-top with a V8 and 4 seats ... nice combination! No offence to SLK drivers but I just don't like the shape. And, er, it has a bit of an 'image' ;)

I think the steering system is probably roughly the same. However, prior to my CLK, I had a 202 C240 just like yours. I didn't find the steering vague, just lacking in feel. In fact, the steering is actually very accurate when you are pressing on.

The CLK with bigger wheels and the AMG suspension certainly feels fine for me. It is sharper and more alive than the C240, but that could just be the power.

I suspect (am only guessing here!) that Avantgarde models with their firmer suspension are less vague.

The only real way is to go try the CLK.

I had a SLK230K in late 97, then a CLK320 Sport Convertible, then a 202 C240 Sport and now a CLK55 -- all of them based on the 202 chassis. Sometimes I think I have bought the 'same' car 4 times but a V8 changes it all.

I wanted another CLK convertible but 'sacrificed' my desire for an AMG coupe instead (the 208 AMG convertible is very rare).

se97mlm said:
My principal worry with the CLK is that it may have the same vague steering as my C class, can any of you CLK people confirm or deny this?

You want a bit of 'go' to accompany your 'show', so I voted year old SLK280/350 and CLK430.

The CLK430 will be more useful in terms of practicality, but just due to sheer size and weight may not feel as chuckable as the SLKs, but hey, you've always got to err on the side of a V8. ;)

I know it's a bit older than you wanted, but our CLK cab is up for sale.
Come and have a look if you want to;)

GRAV888 said:
I know it's a bit older than you wanted, but our CLK cab is up for sale.
Come and have a look if you want to;)

Thanks Grav,

Problem is, i am really after a left hooker, as i now live in Germany.

Regards

Matt

v. pleased with her 200k. No steering vagueness (nor on my C - i have parameter steering tho')

New 200k

who cares , the best make of car is new :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom