Help me decide between these 2 used C220's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WantaMerc

Car
BMW
Hi guys

I have narrowed my search for my first MB to the below two cars:

Car 1: Mercedes-Benz C Class C220 CDI BLUEEFFICIENCY AMG SPORT PLUS 2.2 4dr

Car 2: Mercedes-Benz C Class 2.1 C220 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY Sport 7G-Tronic 4dr

But I just cant decide which to get.

Car 1: Newer, sport plus (better interior and alloys etc...) but more miles, costs more, no sat nav (I guess this costs around £200?), not sure about the green window tint

Car 2: Cheaper, less miles, Start/Stop function, sat nav but not as nice inside, older car

Thoughts? Personally I like Car 1 given its sports plus but am having trouble justifying the extra cost.

What do you guys think? Thanks!

When I was looking for my c class I noticed that even in the face lifted model the indicator stalks were different.

Car 1 has the latest indicator stalk which is set higher, same stalk used in the w205 latest model as well. Plus these AMG Sport Plus look really nice with those alloys and boot spolier (hence why I have one)

Car 2 indicator stalk is the older style set much lower down, chunky looking as well. Also they say the Command system is a lot better than the standard plug in Becker. I have Becker in mine and I'm very happy with it.

Also both have the intelligent lighting system so you won't loose on that bit and I'm sure Car 1 also has start/stop as well.

I had a C220 Sport+ for 3 years from new, loved it and didn't have any issues other than all 4 alloys, center caps and studs being replaced under warranty. The Sport+ looks that little bit more special

I had a C220 Sport+ for 3 years from new, loved it and didn't have any issues other than all 4 alloys, center caps and studs being replaced under warranty. The Sport+ looks that little bit more special

I also had a sport + for years and loved it. I had a couple of issues, rattly hand brake cable, had one alloy wheel replaced, lots of wind noise around windscreen (mercedes couldn't find problem even after having car 2 or 3 times to look for it but autoglass seemed to fix it after stone went through screen and needed to be replaced) and had a small amount of what looked like watermarking on alcantara seats. Seen a few people with this issue so worth looking it up.
Even with these issues still loved the car and hated giving it back. Red stitching inside just seems to take interior to a different level just as long as it hasn't got red seat belts. And extra little bits on outside make it look more aggressive.

Thanks for the input guys seems like we have a number of sports + model owners on here!

Would the difference in the car ages add much more to the price? If all else was the same? e.g. Car 1 should cost around £1K more regardless given its 2years newer?

Thanks.

Thanks for the input guys seems like we have a number of sports + model owners on here!

Would the difference in the car ages add much more to the price? If all else was the same? e.g. Car 1 should cost around £1K more regardless given its 2years newer?

Thanks.

Don't really know answer to that one but my December 2012 sport + went back to mercedes in oct with 57k miles on it and they then put it up on forecourt for £16,500. They sold it within 2 weeks but don't know what they took for it.

Isn't the cheaper one a private sale, hence much cheaper, and no presumably no dealer benefits.

What mileage will you do? If you're going to do average or below miles the higher mileage car will become average miles over time. Personal preference is the Sport Plus.

James.

The red seatbelts grew on me very quickly as it added a tiny bit of colour but I see the model on the link has the standard black Belts which I think became an option around December 2012

The red seatbelts grew on me very quickly as it added a tiny bit of colour but I see the model on the link has the standard black Belts which I think became an option around December 2012

My understanding is that black seat belts were standard but the red ones were a no cost option. I've got red seat belts and that's first comment I get from others who see the car.

Satnav retrofit/upgrade will cost considerably more than £200 so this is something you'd need to think about if you wanted Satnav

Cheaper one is private hence being cheaper, more expensive one has nicer wheels though. Both the same car just different options and other gizmos

Are you planning on using it as a daily eating up plenty of miles in long trips? If not then go for a petrol, just thinking of DPF issues... Something I didn't think about before buying a diesel :doh:

I think you should hold out for the right spec car or you will forever regret it and never be fully happy, so forget them 2

Satnav retrofit/upgrade will cost considerably more than £200 so this is something you'd need to think about if you wanted Satnav

It has the command unit just needs the software which its as expensive as fitting the screen etc...

WantaMerc said:
It has the command unit just needs the software which its as expensive as fitting the screen etc...

It has the screen you mean? If it has command then it has Satnav

Car 1 is a trade seller while Car 2 is a private seller, hence the difference in pricing. Providing the trade seller is a respectable business and not some fly by night trader, you should get a minimum warranty and protection under the current selling legislation. When buying from a private seller, you buy 'as seen', and have no comeback whatsoever if something should fail the moment you take delivery of the vehicle.

The pros and cons of buying from traders and private sellers are a minefield. If you are truly interested in buying from a private seller, spend a little of the money you have saved from not buying from a dealer on an independent warranty to start on the day you take delivery.

As for which car is best, always try to go for the newest cars, as Mercedes are constantly upgrading their cars. Mind you, sometimes the older car may have more options on it than a newer car, so they are still worth considering

Just remember than anything can break, and you take pot luck when buying anything. We have bought cars that have developed issues within a year of purchase, yet other vehicles have survived the entire ownership period without a single issue. It is a lottery when buying cars, and a good service regime can help, but is no guarantee that what works today will still work tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom