Help me decide! Used C Class or CLS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pete146

Car
C220 AMG Line Estate
Hi

My first post - thank to anybody who takes the time to reply.

I currently have a 2014 C Class estate (S205) AMG line, with the bluetec diesel. It's the best car I've ever owned and I love it. It has enough room (we only have 1 child and 2 adults), enough power and speed, and plenty of tech.

But I'm piling on the milage - I do an 80 mile round trip each day plus general running around. So I'm looking to buy a slightly newer car with lower mileage.

I've decided I don't need an estate and I can get a late 2016 C class 220 AMG line saloon or a 220D CLS for pretty much the same price!

I like the styling of both. I think I prefer the exterior of the CLS, but perhaps the interior of the C class - but in both cases I like both.

So which would you pick? Are there any major points I should be aware of in deciding? Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks

The CLS looks nicer than the C Class and you won't be mistaken for Uber VIP, but the C Class is more practical overall... I found the headroom on the CLS at the rear borderline claustrophobic. Personally I would prefer practicality over aesthetics and go for the C Class.

CLS is a 4 seater only aswell....
As a dad you might need the 5th for kids friends, relatives etc

Unless you have a family 'bus' for all those duties ....

CLS is a lovely looking car for sure, but I could never own one. It's a blonde

That body line is too claustrophobic in the front, and dreadful in the back. If you're moving kids, parents or grandparents, it's a no no for me.

Looks great, but it has major downsides. Suitable only for single people who want "the look" but rarely use the back.

You don't need an estate, so what you should get is a CLS Shooting Brake....
I gives you more style, more room (including the 5 seats) and better still, is on the same 'platform' as the E Class with all the gown up benefits of Mercedes next tier up.
The only downside is that the footprint of the car is little larger than the C class.

But what do I know! I live out in the sticks and rarely have to venture into urban jungles and that nasty traffic stuff;)

PS I have owned a CLS and loved it....and I'm not blonde.......grey yes!

I have a C class and my brother in law has Cls. My thoughts...

C CLASS WINS ON:
- kit (prem plus)
- sound system
- interior design
- seats
- versatility
- less common (my spec is rare) there are 6 CLSs in our estate.....
- traction (mine 4matic, not available on the Cls)
- 250 engine is great, Cls doesn't get this only the 220 or the 350.

CLS WINS ON:
- Looks if its a look at me car you want. It is pretty.
- Road presence, definitely an imposing car
- Finish, the interior has fake leather dash and the controls are arguably nicer to touch but don't look as good
- pillar less doors are cool.

So IMHO for me the C Class wins but only because of the spec I have. Prem plus with the night pack makes it a unique car. I could have bought a Cls shooting brake for similar cash but I felt I would be buying it as a statement rather than to use. But they are pretty. If they did a 350 (or better) version with 4 matic and Burmester I would be in one now.

Sent from my awesome Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Thanks for all the advice

It would be the 220 either way, as I'd prefer to buy newer with lower mileage than older with higher spec (because of the miles I do). Also it's unlikely to have any premium pack unless I get lucky - either way will likely be the standard AMG line.

I guess I'll take a trip to the dealership and really pay attention to how big/small they feel to sit in

My other half uses a CLS as her main car and we have two kids. Never have any issues with room, boot is plenty big enough and despite being quite tall I’ve never found if lacking in headroom.

Personally I’d take the CLS all day long unless you definitely needed the estate.

It would be the 220 either way, as I'd prefer to buy newer with lower mileage than older with higher spec (because of the miles I do). Also it's unlikely to have any premium pack unless I get lucky - either way will likely be the standard AMG line.

I guess I'll take a trip to the dealership and really pay attention to how big/small they feel to sit in

220d is never the one to get , 250d , same / similar mpg but..

Yet you get an extra 33 bhp and more importantly 100Nm of torque and that's from 1600 rpm !

Effortless torque pulling you along at low rpm with very little throttle , it's like a 3.0L .

Remapped , even less effort and more mpg .

Yet you get an extra 33 bhp and more importantly 100Nm of torque and that's from 1600 rpm !

Effortless torque pulling you along at low rpm with very little throttle , it's like a 3.0L .

Yip, I've got 250bhp and 550nm..... Sub 6 in the wet or dry. (but I still want more)

50mpg of the daily commute.

Sent from my awesome Samsung Galaxy Note 9

I think the interior colour is really important - I had a Diamond Silver CLS - the colour really suited the car. BUT I had a black interior without a sunroof and it felt really gloomy. Chopped it in against a black C with grey interior and sunroof and it seemed more spacious but it wasn’t. I never lost the smile when approaching the CLS - never felt the same about the C. The CLS had real presence whereas the C didn’t really look that different to most modern saloons. The tech on the C was far more advanced - the CLS has only recently caught up. Personally, if I was doing high mileage I would go with the CLS as it is much more refined and feels solid - it should do as they list about 50% more than the C. This may be noticeable with the 220 diesel as most people report that they can be ‘gruff’ so the CLS will probably be quieter inside. Good luck getting a good one, whichever you go with

I know I'm biased, but easy answer: go for a CLS SB. All the advantages of an estate without being dull. All the ride benefits of a larger car without the handling sacrifices. All the refinement and class without the anonymity and commonality. A car that really makes you feel special every time you get into it and as you look back at it when you get out.

Thanks all

So I drove 2 yesterday. I'm still unsure and think there are advantages to both, but my wife fell in love with the CLS (she's very tall and felt that she actually had a lot more leg room in the front passenger seat). I have to say that none of the seats felt small/cramped at all!

So now it's really just a choice on age - I can choose a 2018 C Class AMG with 12000 miles, or a 2016 with 25000 - both the same price, both in black. My head says the newer C, my heart says the older CLS!

CLS every day of the week. Plus you get to keep the wife happy.

Just imagine waking up every morning and looking out of the window at your new car, trust me the CLS wins this every time, it’s a different level.

I’ve just had a brand new C Class for a couple of weeks whilst my CLS has been having some work done, it’s a lovely car, the kids and wife liked it, friends jokingly commented I’d “downgraded” lol, but once the CLS was back on the drive it was game over.....

Good luck with whichever you choose, they will both be fine.

I would be in a CLS SB if my wife hadn't been so keen to 'see over hedges'.
As it now is, I can see over hedges too, spent a little more money, but importantly, have retained the marital bliss that makes life so much easier....:D
My selfish vehicle has only two wheels and my wife refuses to come with me on that....win, win:cool:

CLS is a league above in my opinion and at 3 years old is the right time to buy for less depreciation

CLS is a league above in my opinion and at 3 years old is the right time to buy for less depreciation

Its 2 leagues above! - CLS is higher than the E-Class in terms of materials used.

My father has just gotten a 2 year old C-Class, its lovely inside but the quality of the materials isnt a patch on mine.

Let me correct that for you. It is not like a 3.0l, quite different in fact. The torque in a v6 is in a different league to a 250d, not to mention sound, which is considerably better and if you start talking remaps on both then there is no contest.
The less powerful cars need to rev a bit more when setting off. I had a 2.0 190bhp loaner while my current 3.0 inline 6 went for a service and the difference is night and day.
Drive both engines back to back and tell me what you prefer after that.

As for the OP, if it was my money I would go slightly higher mileage and go for a 350 CLS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom