Help me decide! Used C Class or CLS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry thought I did! But if you say I am in the minority then I must be wrong! All about opinions mate!

No you aren't wrong.........its just your opinion and everyone has one.

So I picked it up last night and I'm very happy! Easily the nicest car to drive that I've ever had the pleasure of!

I will post some pics when I get chance - but just a couple of questions:

• The boot (coupe).
    • It sounds cheap and tinny when I close it, and it doesn't soft close at all - it actually rattles on closure. Is this normal? I don't have a button to close it - it's manual only
    • The 'roof' of the boot is bare metal - is that normal or is there a liner missing?
  • Command Sat Nav
    • I can't get it to show me the info that I want to see! for example:
      • It doesn't show me what the next command will be on screen (EG an arrow showing turn right in 2 miles)
      • Doesn't show speed limits or current speed
      • Doesn't show distance to destination
    • I can't find any of the above in the settings - any ideas?
  • Air vents / climate control
    • Is there no longer an 'auto' function?

I'm sure I'll have more - but these are the things confusing me right now!

Thanks again

If so, he'll be in the minority too...

Reactions: Abb
Do you have any pics of your C250 AMG Sport in Palladium Silver?
Here's my stunning brilliant blue C250 PP 4matic
5c9dcce42b3abefd7c1c88a1162e506b.jpg

Sent from my awesome Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Nice, but on looks alone the majority would still prefer a CLS...

Not at the mo sorry! Why ? Thinking of getting one?
No, just wanted to see your car, palladium is one of my favourite colours.

In the AMG section I have a thread running for owners to post pics of their cars. You get to see different models, colours, specifications etc, so a helpful thread as well as one to admire different cars.

So I picked it up last night and I'm very happy! Easily the nicest car to drive that I've ever had the pleasure of!

• The boot (coupe).
    • It sounds cheap and tinny when I close it, and it doesn't soft close at all - it actually rattles on closure. Is this normal? I don't have a button to close it - it's manual only
    • The 'roof' of the boot is bare metal - is that normal or is there a liner missing?
  • Command Sat Nav
      • It doesn't show me what the next command will be on screen (EG an arrow showing turn right in 2 miles)

Thanks again
Not sure I can help fully, I have a CLS but 2005.

However .......

Boot should definitely have a liner once that's fitted um sure it will sound and feel more robust.

On my COMAND I press the MAP button to see when and what the next direction is or you can have it showing on your display behind the steering wheel and there is somewhere in settings to have total distance and ETA showing but it is difficult to find did you not get a manual [emoji848].

Lastly, from me, the aircon has an auto setting on mine it is got to by pressing the left hand button on the heating console that controls the passenger temperature, I hope that makes sense.

I'm sure someone will be along soon with a newer model that can help further.

Enjoy ....

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

• The boot (coupe).
  • Command Sat Nav

Thanks again

The boot shouldn’t rattle and there should be a button for the boot closure- is yours a premium plus ?

With the sat Nav- I’m sure if you play about with the setting ma you will defo find the distance and map exit function, try going into the route settings :)

The auto button for the air con is located on the middle of the passenger temp control- even I missed that one :)

The roof of the boot has no liner and exposed to its bear metal, well that’s how it is on mine.

The boot shouldn’t rattle and there should be a button for the boot closure- is yours a premium plus ?

With the sat Nav- I’m sure if you play about with the setting ma you will defo find the distance and map exit function, try going into the route settings :)

The auto button for the air con is located on the middle of the passenger temp control- even I missed that one :)

The roof of the boot has no liner and exposed to its bear metal, well that’s how it is on mine.

So the boot only sort of rattles on closure - it doesn't rattle when driving. I think that I've maybe just been spoiled with the soft automatic closing on the C Class. This is the first 4 door I've owned and I think maybe this is just how they are. There is a plastic flap on the boot surround that the boot latch has to push down in order to close - I think it is maybe this that rattles (just the action of it being pushed down).

I've found the Auto button. It's on the left hand temperature dial :)

I didn't get a COMAND manual - the handbook just points me to the electronic manual in the car, but this is very limited.

I've looked at a couple of others and the boot roof is always metal with no liner - so again I think this is just how 4 doors are.

The sat nav doesn't seem to have any display configurability. I have ticked every option in the settings menu, but none of them seem to change what elements are on the display - it seems that it is pre set up and you get what you get! I believe it's COMAND 5.1.

Is the number plate inside a plastic holder, or screwd straight to the car?

So the boot only sort of rattles on closure - it doesn't rattle when driving. I think that I've maybe just been spoiled with the soft automatic closing on the C Class. This is the first 4 door I've owned and I think maybe this is just how they are. There is a plastic flap on the boot surround that the boot latch has to push down in order to close - I think it is maybe this that rattles (just the action of it being pushed down).

I didn't get a COMAND manual - the handbook just points me to the electronic manual in the car, but this is very limited.

I've looked at a couple of others and the boot roof is always metal with no liner - so again I think this is just how 4 doors are.

The sat nav doesn't seem to have any display configurability. I have ticked every option in the settings menu, but none of them seem to change what elements are on the display - it seems that it is pre set up and you get what you get! I believe it's COMAND 5.1.

Will be going out shortly and I will have a fiddle on my Nav to see if I can find anything. :)

Isn't the Comand manual on-screen in the display? If not, there are plenty of websites which will let you download a PDF.

So:

• The boot (coupe).
    • It sounds cheap and tinny when I close it, and it doesn't soft close at all - it actually rattles on closure. Is this normal? I don't have a button to close it - it's manual only - Thanks @markjay - It actually is the number plate!
    • The 'roof' of the boot is bare metal - is that normal or is there a liner missing? - It seems that this is the norm for the 4 door
  • Command Sat Nav
      • It doesn't show me what the next command will be on screen (EG an arrow showing turn right in 2 miles) I still can't find any way to do this
      • Doesn't show speed limits or current speed I can't find any way to display this, but perhaps it's not a feature
      • Doesn't show distance to destination - I've found this one :)
    • Is there no longer an 'auto' function? I've found this on the left hand temperature dial

I have also now discovered that my COMAND unit can have CarPlay / android play activated with just an activation tool, so I think that's the easiest way around sorting out the sat nav. I must say that the navigation system on my Audio 20 unit in the older C Class was far superior to the version on my COMAND unit - it seems extremely basic!

Just a couple more questions:

• I believed that the car came with traffic notifications for 3 years, but when I click 'Traffic' in the sat nav, it says 'There are no subscriptions'. Is this correct?
  • Mercedes Me - I should have some services for free (at least until the car is 3 years old). I know that Mercedes Me is enabled and my car shows up in the app - but when I try to go to the portal to turn on services I just get the message 'Data Transmission Error'. Is there a trick to this?

So:
  • Command Sat Nav Which version of Comand do you have ?
  • Is the screen a ‘stuck on iPad’
      • Doesn't show speed limits or current speed - this was an option
I have also now discovered that my COMAND unit can have CarPlay / android play activated with just an activation tool, so I think that's the easiest way around sorting out the sat nav. Do you have a USB connection near the head unit - my Car Play needs a USB cable, it cannot connect using Bluetooth.

Just a couple more questions:

• I believed that the car came with traffic notifications for 3 years, but when I click 'Traffic' in the sat nav, it says 'There are no subscriptions'.
  • Mercedes Me - I should have some services for free (at least until the car is 3 years old). I know that Mercedes Me is enabled and my car shows up in the app - but when I try to go to the portal to turn on services I just get the message 'Data Transmission Error'. Is there a trick to this?
  • It looks to me that the onboard SIM has failed. I would call the Mercedes Me help line - have your VIN number - 00800 9 777 77 77

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom