Help me out - I don't want a BMW

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DavidL

MB Enthusiast
Car
s203 C55, x218 CLS63
We had Impreza estates for many years and loved them. But in the end they got a bit old and the new ones are hatch only.
So we looked to replace it and we wanted quick, estate and 4wd. To cut a long story short I couldn't find anything suitable short of an (R)S6. But the BMW 335d xdrive was there but more money than I wanted to spend.
So we bought a vrs fabia and the e55 for the same £20k as I was going to spend on an e350d estate.
Now these are great, the e55 rather more so but we don't really need 2 cars for this role. In the end they will get recombined.
I still can't really see past the bmw - 300bhp, 0-60 under 5 secs, estate, 4wd, cheap RFL and 50mpg (ish). Currently thse start at £25k. What's not to like (apart from being diesel).
But I don't really want a BMW, never have. An Alpina I would have but not a stock BMW.
If Merc did the same car then that would be great but as far as I know in rhd they don't
Am I missing anything?

Cheers
David

Audi S4 or S6 Avant.

We're replacing our E with an S6 Avant next year it was such a nice drive with effortless power.

Apart from being a bit small (for me) the 3 series wagon is a great car.

Only the MB fanboi's will disagree (Bruno).

Apart from being a bit small (for me) the 3 series wagon is a great car.

Only the MB fanboi's will disagree (Bruno).

I REALLY regret not getting a 335d Touring last year. £192 pm. What a total knob!!! :wallbash:

I had a 335xd for 2 years in Switzerland (2014 car) with an AC Schnitzer chip up to 350bhp. The 4x4 was a key seller to me, although in fairness the W204 was available out there as 4Matic too.

It is a bit clinical compared to my previous C63 but is a hell of a car. If you are are thinking about it, then do it - you won't regret it. But I must be honest when we came back to the UK I wasn't running straight back to the BMW dealer.

But it is discrete, economical, comfortable (with adaptive suspension), amazing technology in it (gearbox knows upcoming junctions and changes accordingly, Satnav updates over 4G) and stupidly fast - on track I kept a 991 generation 911 Carerra at bay for a few laps before I cooked the brakes!

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/mb-defectors-other-marques-forum/173958-bmw-335d.html

Simon

Last edited:
Estoril Blue is still their finest hour in terms of colours.

@OP: I don't care about brands or what anyone else thinks (not saying you do) - I'm more interested in the product.

Personally, I would try the BMW...

Thanks guys ^^^^ You're really rubbing it in now! :wallbash:

Ignore the S4, it's a disappointing half-a*sed effort by Audi. I had a 4.2 v8 some years back, despite being over a decade newer the supercharged v6 is no more powerful or economical (although very tuneable), and the automatic gearbox is made of chocolate. I recalled my deposit.

The S6 is a much more interesting prospect.

Space requirements will also determine what we have. Yes we may go to Audi but the diesel mpg and rfl is obviously appealing. I'm sure we will try a 335d and consider a remap, I just wanted to check we hadn't missed anything obvious
Knowing me I'll probably succumb and buy a CLS63 estate!

Space requirements will also determine what we have. Yes we may go to Audi but the diesel mpg and rfl is obviously appealing. I'm sure we will try a 335d and consider a remap, I just wanted to check we hadn't missed anything obvious
Knowing me I'll probably succumb and buy a CLS63 estate!

The A6 Bi-Turbo diesel seems to get glowing reviews. We're going S6 as I specifically want a petrol and that's the only option.

The RS6 is just too hardcore for me (it's a bit shouty) and the reality is if I was going that route I'd prefer an E63 anyhow. The S6 just hit the sweetspot for us and the ride quality was very impressive even on the test car we drove on 20" wheels.

Orignally I was looking forward to the new E43 AMG 4 Matic coming out but the new E shape leaves me a bit flat, the lack of colours and options and the distinct lack of ability to customise (think Audi Exclusive or BMW Individual) has made us consider a change of brand.

Last edited:
Having test driven them both recently (plus an RS7) you would really have to want to buy a BMW to buy one over the A6/A4 Bi-Turbo TDI; interior feels more exclusive and looks a lot sleeker on the outside too.

Removing the want of the AWD and I'd be in either an XF Sportbrake or an E350 CDI.

Removing the diesel aspect I'd be in either an XF-R estate or an E63 estate.

Removing the estate aspect, I'd be in a QP or a CLS 63.

DavidL said:
We had Impreza estates for many years and loved them.

I tested a forester Diesel earlier this year and loved it but it seems you are looking for out and out performance. If not, have a look at the Subaru. The Euro 6 engine is beautiful and they are a lot roomier than any German estate car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom