Help me please – poured petrol in diesel engine… i cant sleep!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

greatkid1985

Car
C220
First of all I would like to say thanks in advance to anyone on this forum who writes back and provides me with any help or advice at all….. Please help me I have been getting 2-3 hours sleep max. for the last few days!!! This is worrying the crap out of me!!

Okay here is what happened.. I was driving my parents Mercedes Benz (2008 Model C220 CDI – Diesel Engine)… the tank was on reserve fuel… I accidently filled it up with just under 10 litres of petrol. Immediately I realised what I had done… so I asked the guy that works at the petrol station what I need to do… and he said it shouldn’t be a problem… just move your car to the side and take it to a mechanic so it can all get flushed out. There was a guy beeping his horn to use the diesel pump behind me… so I started the car for under a minute and just moved the car 5 metres forward so that the guy behind me could use the pump. (AFTER THIS HAD HAPPENED I DID NOT START THE CAR AGAIN.. I GOT IT TOWED DIRECTLY TO MERCEDES)

I then got it towed to Mercedes… when I went to Mercedes the service guy told me straight up front if the ignition has been turned on or the car has been started in any way… they would need to do a completely different type of service which was going to cost approx. £7,000 pound. Otherwise if the car hadn’t been started they would just flush the fuel tank & the lines and it would just cost me under a £650 pounds. I panicked at that point because I don’t have anywhere near £7,000 pounds… im just a student… so I just told them that the car had not been started at all.

Anyway they did the service… and this is what the invoice says they did;
FUEL TANK & LINES
2 X SEAL RINGS
REFILLED ENTIRE TANK WITH GAS

They have told me specifically that they did NOT do any of the following;
*Change the fuel filter
*Flushed the injector lines
*Checked the injectors & checked for any back leakage

This was all done 4 days ago… yesterday I was driving the car and I noticed that when taking off at the traffic lights…. If I pushed the accelerator slowly the car would just lag and eventually take off just fine.. however if I pushed the accelerator down a little faster the car would start to shake almost like a manual and the engine would stall/cut-off completley

The car has never had the problem before… so I can almost guarantee that it has something to do with the petrol incident and is linked to it. Anyway I have taken it back to Mercedes who have hooked it up to their computers and tested it all… and taken it for a test drive… They are telling me that they cannot find any faults with the car at all!!! (THEY HAVE NO IDEA YET THAT THE CAR WAS INITIALLY STARTED)

I don’t understand much about cars… but I am really afraid that petrol has gotten into the engine/injectors/fuel-pump/fuel-filter or whatever the case may be (like I said I don’t know much about cars)…. And can cause major damage if I continue to drive it!!! I just cant understand how much petrol could get into the engine if the car was just started and literally moved like a couple of metres…. Surely there is existing diesel fuel in the lines… (But I have been reading up … and apparently the new Mercedes have an extremely high pressure pump)…

The car has been driven approximately 200kms since it has been flushed and the incident occurred..

PLEASE can anyone give me any further advice on what I should do??? Or what you would do if you were in my same position… please… I have spoken to a few mechanics and they have told me that if petrol has got into the fuel pump etc… it would slowly begin to wreck other components and the long-term damage would be over £16,000 - £17,000 pounds!!!! I do not want to keep driving it if this is the case…. Is there anyone that I can take the car to that can check to see if petrol has got inside or is still inside the certain components of the car????

What do you think needs to be done to the car now?? Change the fuel filter & do a “back leakage check” on the injectors??? Somebody was saying that I can get a fuel sample report of some sort??? I have no idea what that means?

[FONT=&quot]Thanks guys[/FONT]

I did the same thing a few years ago, but drove the car for maybe a couple of miles on the petrol. It had it drained and flushed and it's been right as rain ever since. I think the 'experts' you have spoken with are mixing hearsay with worst case main dealer prices.

As you told them the car hadn't been started, they didn't change the fuel filter and fill it with diesel, nor did they flush the injector lines. Both of these would have been a really good idea. You car has probably done a mile or two on petrol because of this.

I'm afraid I can't advise you on your next course of action, but the horror stories you have been told are by no means certain to happen. Many of us on here have done exactly the same as you and lived to tell the tale.

Good luck!

I filled a petrol Citroen BX with diesel, drove 1/4 mile and car spluttered to a stop near the Citroen garage (very thoughtful of car). Next day after draining and a flush collected car and no further problems.

A few years later I filled a diesel Audi A4 with petrol and drove 4 miles before it also spluttered to a stop. Car towed to works own garage and left it with them, then end of shift and the car was back to normal with no future problems.

Both cars were my own not company cars by the way.

I once put £18 of petrol in a Mondeo diesel. I simply filled it up with diesel and kept topping up whenever possible. It ran completely fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom