help me to recognize the text from CAR 1978 (with w116)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

namburol

Car
Opel Omega 2.0
hello! I'm from Russia and I do not speak English well. Now I'm translating an article from the magazine car November 1978 with the participation of w116.
Тест Mercedes 280 SE, BMW 730 и Opel Senator
This is very interesting. Unfortunately, the scan is of poor quality, and some words I can not recognize. Help me do this. This post needs to be created in the off top section, but I do not have rights for this section. Sorry. I overlooked the unrecognized words.
gbTJntCZ50atmV2QaWWtBwSef2Wms4u0DXqYkw4HR4lNXUXzkC7dIum3W8l1PU4HKSwJAkykazlmc2ewhw=w211-h220-rw

Last edited:
Welcome namburol.

I presume this is the first section you are having trouble with. Does it help if I list just the blurred first word or two on each line.

Capture.PNG

All three
varying
rear
deserves
which
are minimised
worry
barrel-
touching
suspension
those
Fancy alloy
come as
rubber on
a surprising
by far the
than the
lies the
style
The Senator
three cars
significantly
wheelbase
the most
middleweight
suspension
the wheelbase
Make no

Welcome namburol.

I presume this is the first section you are having trouble with. Does it help if I list just the blurred first word or two on each line.

View attachment 73708

All three
varying
rear
deserves
which
are minimised
worry
barrel-
touching
suspension
those
Fancy alloy
come as
rubber on
a surprising
by far the
than the
lies the
style
The Senator
three cars
significantly
wheelbase
the most
middleweight
suspension
the wheelbase
Make no
Thanks!!!!!

page67part.jpg

at123mph
overall noise
they do
would
quite alien
Cold starts
can be a
this marvelously
1,000 rpm
about2,500
without any
With
the fairly
baulking [ means sticking]
gear lever
light and slick
whether it
combination
HANDING AND
The
That said
has of it either
power-assisted
matchless [ means without equal]
of feel
steering

help to recognize words from the left edge on this scan similarly;)
Xp2HOdUdMPOgVXleKt_inEKLQ6c-D1aEksBrVBB25n3XwUmVCDnjQLJYqIZskezZBOaTquiJHD-5Z0qCOmgB4CxZHbHZAtKwgv7mHbe8QHnXiYqocKQ_J-M7Z4PfTOvQypph2xWbGSbcofIrey3LRVdUf37rtwkBKtYD3SH2f_GvOSMA70ZgvuTrn059YBg4lyWnA_X3Eq0yGyuHI-4-OdTF9qhKn8ax4o6FV1f8E6nf6848DaAbpNQliXG6TJfURLPFWkjhRfwsxg41-R4vGwa0FZDqHQ_BYgLE_MoWRQiccRVv1Ey6M3Pcs-JHwFO2gPokGyYhvbwxN_k3ZfQUZQXZ3rkfYir-DAkwy3E5OIl15MyR5fhWjmQcr9l6xa_LTd8xnCODq7xJWZYi4wgFQTwTQpkp51Q_PZBVXE5TDNCZ9lo_pnhYwPaYbk39PixldJMP2cf_6njzKwF2JQh6aWTiY-yj5LAmI3hdpkjNqEuhicbcRb4cDCuOXoiFsYDURzNDd7rs46KxseSXzjX-grXyBtxtJx5w4m63_b4pvaOBxZJWVX74kf2EusGX0oHHV546Cx1kCXdWVYKOi7Ymf5E1PoSG9tUOm63B3Uw=w488-h501-no

continued from page 68
appointed
280's
colour-keyed
ceiling
Mercedes
-ishment [ embell-ishment]
on the
nagging[means annoying]
paneling
730's
to impressionable
too well
from
more
operated
trimmed
justified
decor
all
the
Mercedes
stowage
CONCLUSIONS

CONCLUSIONS
if you're
it here
real peace
Jaguar XJ
Mercedes
from
appeal
four-speed
450SEL6.9
handling
280SE
indeed
expensive
well bred
commanding
Secure?
way it goes
£112,000------?
than toddlers[ means small children]
expect
settle
far from
-stately
grand
certain
command
engineering
to admire
BMW
to attack
cylinder
refined
calm????
the
and
grip
unsettled
entertaining
stronger
driver's
Mercedes
As
who
often
its a rare
tables are
rounds
question
Have no---??
for the
and the
say a
all-round
stops---?
roomy
back
drive
met
accomplished
prestige
* how the Mercedes 28E shapes up,page87.

Last edited:
I'm sure forum members would like to know your interest in the article. I see you drive a GM Opel Omega 2.0. Maybe you're a Opel Fan?
In the CAR magazine comparison the Opel Senator comes out on top. In the UK it would have been badged as a Vauxhall. They were a very popular car with the traffic divisions of many Police forces in the UK and capable of huge mileage without major repair. Alas the big mass market manufacturers Ford and Vauxhall gave up producing large cars for the UK market and left the market to the BMW and Mercedes.
maxresdefault.jpg

I'm sure forum members would like to know your interest in the article. I see you drive a GM Opel Omega 2.0. Maybe you're a Opel Fan?
In the CAR magazine comparison the Opel Senator comes out on top. In the UK it would have been badged as a Vauxhall. They were a very popular car with the traffic divisions of many Police forces in the UK and capable of huge mileage without major repair. Alas the big mass market manufacturers Ford and Vauxhall gave up producing large cars for the UK market and left the market to the BMW and Mercedes.
maxresdefault.jpg
I own the Opel Omega 2.0 1997. This car has undergone a complete restoration.
Here's my car.
Opel Omega Чини меня полностью на DRIVE2.RU
Also I own a car Opel Senator B 1988, which will also be soon restored. I like many cars from 1970-1990.
p.s.It is likely that in 1978 Opel cars were sold in the UK. Opel was replaced by Vauxhall in subsequent years.

Last edited:
Looks in excellent condition. Good luck with the restoration of the Senator.

Looks in excellent condition. Good luck with the restoration of the Senator.
Hello! I'm currently translating another issue of CAR magazine about w114, and I can't translate some expressions.I need help.Can you help me translate?Can you give us your email address?

I continue to read the old British car press, but my poor knowledge of English does not always allow me to fully understand the meaning of what is written,so I ask you all to help me:)
The full scan of the test is here.
Тест Mercedes 280E Auto W114, BMW 3.0S Auto E3 и Fiat 130 Auto
I understand almost everything, but there are parts of the text that are unclear, like this one:
text.jpg
I do not understand the expression:"..the Merc does not have a torque converter.. "
MB W114, equipped with an automatic transmission had no torque converter???
another obscure expression:"The 280E only gives its top performance if the driver does some of the gear-changing himself"
is automatic transmission w114 allowed to shift gears manually???
help me understand this text!!!

I do not understand the expression:"..the Merc does not have a torque converter.. "
MB W114, equipped with an automatic transmission had no torque converter???
another obscure expression

The Mercedes has a fluid coupling not a torque converter. A torque converter is a type of fluid coupling which is capable of increasing its output torque to a more than its input torque. It does this by employing an additional component internally.
A fluid coupling by contrast does not increase the output torque, merely acts to take up the drive when a certain rpm threshold is reached and the oil within is energised to travel between the two internal components.
The two (FC and TC) have their individual merits and demerits. The FC tends to be more efficient and provides more engine braking, a TC aids drivability.

:"The 280E only gives its top performance if the driver does some of the gear-changing himself"
is automatic transmission w114 allowed to shift gears manually???
help me understand this text!!!

The Mercedes had a 4 ratio gearbox (at a time when 3 speeds were the norm) to compensate for the lack of torque multiplication but it was the inclusion of a low ratio first gear that was crucial to allowing a fluid coupling to be used rather than a torque converter and, as the testers found, the torque multiplication of a torque converter was missed in the higher gears - hence the need to shift manually. Which is possible by selecting the numbered options via the gear lever.

Here's a video of a Hydrak transmission system in action in an earlier model. I should perhaps have mentioned that the automated clutch assembly does in fact incorporate a fluid coupling but its function is more to smooth out the clutch changes rather than transmit torque. It also differs from a torque convertor in that it doesn't have a fixed stator between the impeller and turbine
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been touched to see the helpfulness and generosity with their time of our members on here. Well done!

And welcome to the forum Namburol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom