Help me with my W202

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AK84

Hi guys!

I'm new here. I bought my first car yesterday
smile.gif
A 1996 Mercedes C180 Elegance. I'm loving it! But I have a few questions. I hope you can help me.

1. There is this button I've marked with a red circle, what's its function? It's not listed in the manual.
2.The other question is regarding the blower fans/climate control. When I put the vents to 1,2,3 or 4 or even 5 then they blow like if I put them on full. I have to push the fan controler a bit inside for the fan to blow lower (or I have to play a bit with it pushing it and so on).
confused.gif
So what can be the problem?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Sorry for my english
redface.gif

console.jpg

Hi

Did you not get a manual with the car???

Anyway, the button disables either the internal motion sensor or the tilt switch depending on whether you push it up or down before locking the car.

Useful if car is being towed away or on a ferry and if for example you left a dog in the car or a window ajar then alarm will not go off. It resets after yiou open the car with the fob.

Welcome to the club by the way.

Welcome!

As 230k says, the button you've circled enables/disables the motion sensor for the alarm. Towing the car (or for that matter, putting it on a truck/ferry or having it hit by another car while parked) will set off your alarm/immobiliser.

The fan control sounds like your knob is loose or like the resistor at the back is faulty... shouldn't be too expensive to fix...

M.

welcome. as above
are you sure yours is 1996 as i do not think they had those sensors in 1996 mine is 1997 and i do not have it.

Hi

My 96 C Class Kompressor didnt have that button, maybe its a dummy, does the light flash when alarm is armed? Do you have lights in your RVM?

I also think you have a problem with your knobs. looks like someone has removed the dash and not put it back in properly or put another one there.
see the defrost symbol by 5 is not showing as well as the head of the guy in the right defrost button or is it the way i am looking at the picture

Last edited:
I also think you have a problem with your knobs. looks like someone has removed the dash and not put it back in properly or put another one there.
see the defrost symbol by 5 is not showing as well as the head of the guy in the right defrost button or is it the way i am looking at the picture

It's just been covered up by aftermarket chrome rings.

Those alarm buttons were available pre 96, but were option only, and quite rare IIRC.

Those alarm buttons were available pre 96, but were option only, and quite rare IIRC.

Correct, Inkyskin's pre-pre facelift had that option too and indeed very rare on those early models.

Thanks guys!

Uhm, so it's the alarm... But when I bought it they said it hadn't. Yesterday it wasn't flashing. But today I pressed it up and down. And now when I leave the car the tiny red lamp flashes. I just don't understand why the one who sold it to me said it has no alarm. How can I test if it works?

I'll put up some pictures of the car tomorrow (from inside too). And thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

Last edited:
Lock the car with the keyfob, then unlock and open with the fixed key - it should set off. If it doesnt, get in the car, lock the central locking, then wait 30 secs, then start moving, you should set off the internal motion sensors, an viola, alarm should sound :)

If it flashes when you lock the car, that should mean it's setting (thats what mine does too).

How do you know if the sensor is set to off??

Reading the manual it says you should see the light come on when pressing it.

However, there is no light on mine (2000 w210) but I have left the dog in the car and the sensor doesn't seem to go off.
It flashes when it is locked, so the light is working, just not confirmation that it has been set.

Does it only flash or flash differently if the sensors are disabled??

That's a good question. Anyone? So if I'm correct it should flash when it's enabled. Or is it the other way?

Keep pressing until the lights stop flashing. or simply start the car

Keep pressing until the lights stop flashing. or simply start the car

They never start flashing though, that is the problem.

The only time it flashes is when the car is alarmed and locked.

Lock the car with the keyfob, then unlock and open with the fixed key - it should set off. If it doesnt, get in the car, lock the central locking, then wait 30 secs, then start moving, you should set off the internal motion sensors, an viola, alarm should sound :)

If it flashes when you lock the car, that should mean it's setting (thats what mine does too).
I tried it but no alarm :( Then why is that button there if there is no alarm :confused: I don't understand.

It's possible it has a fault - next time you get the codes read on a STAR machine, see if theres anything popping up regarding the alarm

Karl - it that ride height (and the sills) real in your new sig photo, or have you been photoshopping.

Sills are the same - non AMG, wheels highered by about 4 pixels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom