HELP!: ML270 cdi heavy smoke and loss of power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mykel

Car
Ml270 cdi
Dear all,
Pardon me for gate-crashing this enviable forum, but what else can I do given my circumstances. It's my first Mercedes Benz- have always wished I had one- and so I went for a 2001 ML270 cdi with 94,000 miles and full service history to back it up. Car had been stood for a couple of years due to owner's crippling disability and so when I bought it with the bit of smoke and lack of power, I thought servicing and changing a few things would sort that out. I was wrong.
It's had a recon'd turbo, new Maf sensor, new camshaft sensor and egr cleaned on top of servicing and problems persist while my indie mechanic keeps suggesting changing more things!. Heavy smoke especially on take-off and when climbing. Every time I put money into it, I check the car value and what I now have is a non-functional car that's had almost twice it's market value spent on it. Having said that, I'm not cursing myself as yet as I think it will make a good car once sorted.
Now I'm thinking of finding an expert in the Sheffield area who can help me out before my pockets get emptied completely. Please help!!!

Read the sticky at top of this section, which should help you with possible causes.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/144927-lack-power-cdi-what-do.html

Many thanks Tec. All these checks have been done and nothing found. I eventually took it in for diagnostics where it was found there is a leak at the exhaust manifold and needs a gasket. Whether this is enough to cause the above symptoms remains to be seen but I've booked it in for fixing on Tuesday and will let forum know how it goes for the benefit of others

Hi again, I replaced the exhaust manifold gasket and during that it was found out that the cat was clogged. Mechanic suggested I change both cat parts which I have with used but good ones. Power now restored but still smokes. I took it to another indie at MB services (Bosch) at Upwell Street, Sheffield who carried out a diagnostic check and found nothing!. He only mentioned that the actual air flow reading was slightly higher than expected and so suggested replacing the maf sensor (again!) with an original mercedes benz one as it was replaced with a bosch one weeks ago. I reluctantly agreed as I was desperate to fix the issue. Yet, still the same old story!. Car runs and drives fine, just the smoke which the guy says has to do with air and fuel(?). He then said it needs further probing which of course means plenty of dosh. He mentioned the egr valve and then injectors, but egr has been cleaned out some weeks ago and from readings on this forum, no leakage that I can see on the injectors, and placing my palm on all injectors while engine was running did not suggest there is a faulty one.
Any suggestions at all most welcome please!!!

Hi again, I replaced the exhaust manifold gasket and during that it was found out that the cat was clogged. Mechanic suggested I change both cat parts which I have with used but good ones. Power now restored but still smokes. I took it to another indie at MB services (Bosch) at Upwell Street, Sheffield who carried out a diagnostic check and found nothing!. He only mentioned that the actual air flow reading was slightly higher than expected and so suggested replacing the maf sensor (again!) with an original mercedes benz one as it was replaced with a bosch one weeks ago. I reluctantly agreed as I was desperate to fix the issue. Yet, still the same old story!. Car runs and drives fine, just the smoke which the guy says has to do with air and fuel(?). He then said it needs further probing which of course means plenty of dosh. He mentioned the egr valve and then injectors, but egr has been cleaned out some weeks ago and from readings on this forum, no leakage that I can see on the injectors, and placing my palm on all injectors while engine was running did not suggest there is a faulty one.
Any suggestions at all most welcome please!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom