Help - MS Office file types not recognised in IE8

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
I have a new PC running Win7 64 bit, IE 8, and MS Office 2010.

In IE8 if I click on a link to a .doc file (for example) I get the normal file download box, but it shows 'unknown file type' and the 'Open' option is not there (just Find application, Save, Cancel). Same for .xls, but other types (.gif, .jpg, .pdf, etc.) are OK so it seems specific to MS Office.

The basic association to .doc is fine - if I double-click a .doc file in Windows Explorer then Word opens.

Spent some time Googling this without much luck - any advice appreciated! I have tried both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of IE8 and they are the same.

Which version of Office do you have installed 64 bit or 32 bit?

I had issues running the 64 bit, and ended up running office 32 bit on W7 64 bit which resolved them.

IIRC correctly the file associations lead to the 32 bit version only or something simlar.

I have Office 2010 32 bit running on W7 64 bit.

I installed Office myself after getting the PC. I then found there was already a 'demo' version on there, which I uninstalled. I'm wondering if that dropped the associations within IE8 somehow?

Maybe removing & re-installing IE8 is the answer, but seems a bit drastic!

Well ... I fixed it by going into file associations and simply clicking 'OK' (without changing anything) :rolleyes:

Checking my wife's id on the same PC, none of the MS Office file type associations are there (from Windows Explorer). Nor are Word, Excel etc. listed as recommended apps when I go in to change - I have to search for each one on the C: drive?!

Sounds like the removal of the demo version of Office has screwed up the file associations and registry settings, if you're tempted to re-install anything, I'd remove and re-install Office (the proper version) if I were you.

Last edited:
I run office 2000 on a windows 7 64 bit with IE 8. Cant say i have had any problems. But I did uninstall the pre package offce that came with 7 and installed office 2000

Sounds like the removal of the demo version of Office has screwed up the file associations and registry settings, if you're tempted to re-install anything, I'd remove and re-install Office (the proper version) if I were you.

That's a good idea, as I've got Office on disc. I think I've actually got it all sorted now, but if I get further problems that's what I'll do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom