help!!!! my 190 wont start!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

purplegoddess

Car
89' 190e (Leo)
190 2.0i

over last few months have been having problems with car cutting out, 9/10 in the rain or just after rain (wet roads) it would sometimes cut out when come to a stop, and take a few mins to start backup, and more recent it has cut out whilst driving.

Car has been stood for about 2 weeks, tried to start but batt was flat so charged batt overnight, still wont start.

help pleases complete novice

PROBABLY THE FUEL PUMP RELAY. Do you hear the pump running briefly when you turn on the ignition before turning over? You can short out the contacts for a short time to see if the car will run - lots of posts on here about how to do it.

Mrs. Stratman's previous car, a Rover 214, had the same symptoms. After much faffing by me it eventually turned out to be the distributor cap. The carbon sprung central contact was non existent.

looks like im gona have to get mr jp to have a look ! thnx guys xx

Mrs. Stratman's previous car, a Rover 214, had the same symptoms. After much faffing by me it eventually turned out to be the distributor cap. The carbon sprung central contact was non existent.

It will be water and condensation getting into the dizzy cap, I'm sure.

Cheers guys got it sorted,

1) Cleaned Dizzy Cap no difference
2) sorted pins 87 & 30 on pump relay started first time
3) cleaned all contact's and re-fitted relay, all works fine even better than before

Car used to have lag when did hard accleration now it just goes, and runs smoother 8)

thanks guys for all your help,:bannana::bannana: your a wonderfull lot xx:rock::rock:

Hopefully that's the end of your problems now. If the problem does recur its probably down to internal dry joints on the relay. This can often be repaired by resoldering the connections on the small internal PCB after removing the relay cover [ again lots of posts on here how to do it] Failing that its a new relay. If it fails again sometimes a temporary fix is to give the relay a sharp tap with the handle of a screwdriver- this may get you home in an emergency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom