Help.....My 98 CLK is leaking fuel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamS

Car
98 CLK 230
Hi chaps as the title says my CLK 230 Kompresssor is leaking fuel from one of the components at the rear of the car. I am not sure what is back there but i'm assuming that there is a pump and filter amongst the pipes and tank. At the moment it only leaks during the first start of the day after that it seems to be fine, so I am guessing there must be a reservoir or something similar that pools overnight and then leaks when the system is used the next morning but then doesn't leak for the rest of the time the system is in use. Does anyone know either how this all works or whether it is a known problem with a simple fix?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Graham

happened to my previous w202 kompressor, was a plastic hoose in the rear of the car. May be it's also for you. Lift and check: below a plastic shield you should have the fuel filter and pump

Me too, happened on an SL, car had been to MB for service, the fuel pipe clip was too large on the filter end, it would not tighten enough, new clip and sorted. Smell only there when starting, no sign of drippage though. When you drive away it still leaks but evaporates quicker due to the air flow. Not saying that yours is a clip but remove the plastic cover and have a look while engine running.
No Smoking eh?!

I hope you guys are right this car has cost me a relative fortune but is so worth it. Have a mate who is going to put it up on a ramp tomorrow and have a look I'll let you know what we find.
Cheers
Graham

Back from the ramp check and no leak found although it leaked as we reversed into the shed and when i left the house. Prime suspect at the moment is the fuel pump as it is the only component showing any sign of staining on it. All hoses and connectors where checked and despite our best efforts couldn't get a drop out of her. I guess this is my welcome to the old Mercedes club. I have learnt a bit more though about fuel system which may come in handy in the future. Quick question am i right in thinking a new fuel pump should be around 150 quid. Am off to do a quick online search and see what I find but always helpful to have a rough idea before.

Cheers
Graham

I really doubt it will be the fuel pump itself, id change the connectors and hoses to and from it.

When you had it on the ramp did you actually remove the tray that sits below the filter etc?
Ideally you need to do this, not sure how far you went into it when having a look. When you stated that it leaked when you moved it it sounds like the tray is filling up and then spilling when moved?
Just a thought!

Hi Franey, I too think that the tray was filling up when it was stationary and then emptying when moved. We have now taken that off so that I can see the pump, filter and connectors more clearly and will be checking each time I start to see if I can find the leak. I have seen it coming down into the tray before now but not been able to see were from hopefully now I will and I'll get this annoying problem sorted. Whilst up on the ramp we had a good look at all of the pipes and my mate the mechanic checked they were all suitably well connected both with the engine running and switched off. Thank you all for the advice I am still holding out that this will be a pipe and connector problem rather than a pump one.

Cheers again
Graham

I should never have doubted you guys started it up yesterday morning when it was nice and cold outside and sure enough fuel leaked from the pipe coming out of the fuel pump to the filter as you look at it from the front of the rear wheel. when the rain stops I'll have a look at the pipe and tighten it up and see if that makes any difference. Thanks again guys for all your advice.

Cheers
Graham

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom