Help: MY CLS 55 wont up shift to 5th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
CLS 55AMG
Hi was wondering what might be the problem. I just bought the car and it won't change up to 5th when using the buttons on the steering wheel. all other gears are fine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Are you switching to 'M' mode? Otherwise all you're doing is extending the gear range and once past 4th it just reverts to D.

Are you sure it has a 5th gear? My C55 in manual mode, goes up to 4th then into D.

Are you switching to 'M' mode? Otherwise all you're doing is extending the gear range and once past 4th it just reverts to D.

Thanks for the reply guys. I Just bought the car so getting use to it but yes, its in M mode, gets up to 4th and then cant get it into 5th. Im asking because in a video I saw on youtube the guy went through the gears and into 5th?

Try it in 'S' but shifting manually using either the paddles or the shifter. See what happens?

Okay. I just went out in my 2004 - W203 C55 Wagon.

In 'M' (Manual) I have gears 1 >5 NB. I can only get '5' above (I think) about 50MPH. So if I sit in the car at idle with my foot on the brake and bump the shift or use the paddles it will not change up or down.

In 'S' (Sport) I have gears 1 > 4 then 'D' when I use the paddles or the shifter. If I just start it up and drive it is always in 'D'

So in 'S' it displays 'D' as a substitute for '5' and will only display gears 1 > 4

Okay. I just went out in my 2004 - W203 C55 Wagon.

In 'M' (Manual) I have gears 1 >5 NB. I can only get '5' above (I think) about 50MPH. So if I sit in the car at idle with my foot on the brake and bump the shift or use the paddles it will not change up or down.

In 'S' (Sport) I have gears 1 > 4 then 'D' when I use the paddles or the shifter. If I just start it up and drive it is always in 'D'

So in 'S' it displays 'D' as a substitute for '5' and will only display gears 1 > 4

Thanks Brucemiller, I'll give it ago in manual at 70pmh and see if it changes into 5th :thumb:

Ok just a quick update. Took it out yesterday on the motorway and works great.
I think Il just give the gearbox a change of oil and filter as I could not see this on the service history and the car has covered 105k now.

The gearbox service is really good thing to do on these.

Tip: Use a very good quality socket/allen key to get the sump pan bolts out. Also use a rubber mallet to bash the socket home before trying to undo them. They are made of chocolate and round very (I do mean very) easily.

Failing that, Suck it out and refill which means you miss out the filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom