Help, my Dad wants golf clubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gucci

MB Enthusiast
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
My Dad has started liking Golf (after years of him saying it was pointless). Anyway, he's asked for a chipper and I think, a 3 and 5 iron? I have no idea what's any good or not? Help! :crazy:

IMO, there is no need to spend big money on a chipper, as your Dad gets better he will find that most likely its a one trick pony club taking up valuable space in his golf bag. I wouldn't recommend spending anymore than say £40 absolute max. Have a look at GO golf clubs, my mate uses a chipper made by them and i think it was pretty cheap.

I would strongly recommend he invests in lessons with a decent pro - if he hasn't played before its well worth laying the foundations of a good swing while he is a 'blank canvas' as it were..

Ideally he should have the continuity of a matching set of irons although if he is just looking to build his first novice set, its not a priority. Just make sure he starts off with 'cavity backed' clubs they are more forgiving for a high handicapper than 'blades'

Avoid cheap Dunlop clubs sold by the likes of JJB sports, he is better off buying a decent 2nd hand set for his first set from a good pro shop with a good pro to advise - personally i wouldn't be spending more than 150 - 200 on his first set.

Just to reiterate - buy a 2nd hand set made by the likes of Taylormade, Callaway or Mizuno rather than a non brand name cheapo starter kit new

Slightly OT but I'm thinking of having a go....

So many 'jollies' that companies I deal with offer 'Golf days' all paid for, meals etc

Its tempting

Cannot remember the site I was looking at but there was a half set for £60 with bag, At that price I can flog them on e-bay if I decide against it?

Collegues at work are quite into it, and it can like anything else get exspensive, clubs, bag, trolley, golf fees, shoes etc etc...

I play to an OK standard (16-18 Handicap), I'd like to play more but just don't get the time.

You don't really notice a great deal of difference in clubs until you get down to about where I am handicap wise.

I do agree with the above though, go for a nice set of used clubs rather than new cheapies.

I've always bought second hand on eBay from the "Must have the latest set of clubs" brigade, it means I get a set of top quality £700 clubs for about £200 or so.

I currently use Ping i3+ irons and Taylor made drivers.

The most forgiving drivers/woods you'll find are Taylor Made 200 Steel series, available very reasonable on eBay.

Do not buy stiff shafts (pro/single figure handicap standard) or graphite shafted clubs, you need regular steel shafts to start with.

Buy Oversized irons, do not buy blades, the Oversized is more forgiving and has a much larger sweet spot.

The most important piece of equipment you can buy is a decent pair of shoes....spend money on good shoes, you will not regret it. 18 holes is a long walk, when you're a beginner 18 holes is more like 36!

I recommend Footjoy, a very nice pair will come in at £60 - £90 and worth every penny.

Last edited:
^I agree^

I have just taken up golf and bought a great set of clubs on ebay for around £100 , good quaility set in a bag , if i dont get on with it i can resell them and not lose much money .

My Dad has started liking Golf (after years of him saying it was pointless). Anyway, he's asked for a chipper and I think, a 3 and 5 iron? I have no idea what's any good or not? Help! :crazy:

For a beginner, I would say a 3 iron is a bit of a low iron. I would also avoid a "chipper" encouraging the use of a proper pitching wedge.

I would ensure you choose a cavity back irons in your budget and if buying individual irons, go for a 5 iron, 7 iron and a pitching wedge. Top it off witha 3 wood and a putter and I would say he is well equipped.

Graham

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom