Help-My money is lost in cyber-space.Any bankers on here ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simba

Car
190E Sportline.
Some time ago I took an item back to John Lewis for a refund.I bought it using my Nat-West debit card so I had to get the refund back to my debit card.

This I did.The refund transaction was completed and I have the till receipt. This clearly shows a refund back to my card for the amount,£55.00. It shows the transaction number,authorisation code etc.

The problem is that I have never received the money back into my bank account.

I have spoken to my bank. They say that is nothing to do with them,they say that when John Lewis`s bank send the money back they will put it back in my account, until then there is nothing more they can do.

I have spoken to John Lewis,they say the fault is with my bank,that they have sent the money back to my bank and that they therefore must have lost the money somewhere............nothing more they can do.

So my money is lost somewhere in cyberspace.Neither party is willing to help.

Any ideas ? Does anyone work at a bank and know about this sort of problem ?

Mike.

Also interested in this.... similar thing happened to me with a paypal withdrawal. neither party able to help.

Nott 100% sure, but I would suspect the liability is with the refunding company, John Lewis. Ask them to check theur bank account as to whether the money has left their account, you will probably have to get very forceful though, big organisation and all that. Small claims court would be worth a threat. Good luck.

The funds are most likely to be in a suspense account. Could be either party, ask them both to check their suspense acc for the exact amount and date of the transaction. You will need to get through to the right dept first. It will be finance or financial control.

Yes, I'm sure there are several bankers on here. Certainly some merchants...

Anyway, I would pursue John Lewis as a first option. As has been said, the onus is on them to make good on the refund due to you, and ultimately you have not yet received that money. A pleasant but firm conversation with them should help.

Thanks, but I thought these things worked instantly,electronically. Not like the old days when you had to wait for three days for a cheque to clear.

Mike.

If unable to get satisfaction, tell John Lewis that you are referring the matter to the Banking Ombudsman. Tell them in writing copied to your bank tell them they have two weeks to sort it. If not resolved send the letter to the Banking Ombudsman with a covering letter explaining the problem

If unable to get satisfaction, tell John Lewis that you are referring the matter to the Banking Ombudsman. Tell them in writing copied to your bank tell them they have two weeks to sort it. If not resolved send the letter to the Banking Ombudsman with a covering letter explaining the problem

+1:thumb:

I would go back to John Lewis. Ask to speak to their finance department. Explain to them the position. That your contract was with them and it is their responsibility to ensure that the refund has gone through. Ask them to check where they sent the monies and to ensure that it has gone to your account. If they say it has - then ask them for a written confirmation of this and the exact details of the transaction. If they are unwilling to do this - tell them you wish to register an "official complaint" and please can you have an official complaint number so that you can progress the complaint. I bet they find the money or can tell you exactly where it has gone.

Good luck.

And another one.

Don't mess about calling in and talking to people - send a recorded delivery letter addressed to the MD (find out who he is from Google).

It's surprising how quick something gets done when you go to the top!

The bank should give you a bank code, then go back to John Lewis

I have a rather impressive update to this thread in that a representative from John Lewis Head office has contacted the admin team asking to get in contact with the OP over this matter.

So I'll be passing the post over to Mike (Simba) so he can get in touch directly.

It sounds like John Lewis are really on the ball so hopefully the matter will get resolved soon. :thumb:

Blimey, John Lewis not even mentioned in the thread title!

Perhaps a member here works for them and mentioned it.

I have a rather impressive update to this thread in that a representative from John Lewis Head office has contacted the admin team asking to get in contact with the OP over this matter.

So I'll be passing the post over to Mike (Simba) so he can get in touch directly.

It sounds like John Lewis are really on the ball so hopefully the matter will get resolved soon. :thumb:

The power of the Forum .. ehhehehe

for the future if u pay with credit card you get more protection, we do all our holidays on credit card and pay surcharge as they can get involved if there is any problems

Well,dont know what to say.Does this mean that we have,as a member on here.somebody who works for John Lewis ?

I dont know quite what has happened here. I have just checked my bank account and the refund has now been payed into my account.

I am most pleased to receive the refund,but I`m not too sure exactly how it has taken place. No matter.

My thanks to Spike,and all the members who took the time to offer advice.

And if we have a John Lewis staff member who saw this or was made aware of this.......a big thank you also.

Its strange, one reads about this sort of thing happening in the media,but you never expect it to happen to you.

Once again, thanks to all.

Mike.

for the future if u pay with credit card you get more protection, we do all our holidays on credit card and pay surcharge as they can get involved if there is any problems

Actually I have a Visa debit card, which they say gives the same protection as a cedit card.

I stopped using credit cards........but thats anothers story.

Mike.

wow... I know companies have departments that sit there constasntly googling themselves, but what a weird turnout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom