HELP!! My outside temp display still shown -38C

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andylee30

Car
Mercedes Benz C220 CDI
I have a 1999 C220 CDI. Only got the car about a month ago.First the outside temp display is always shown -38C. Checked the sensor and it was missing:eek:! I thought it's just a matter purchased a new one from the dealer. Finally, received a new sensor a couple of days ago. Clipped it on to the wire connector just behind the front number plate. Still no joy, the display is still shown -38C:confused:. So, cleaned it with the contact cleaner. Still no joy:wallbash:!! Can anyone tell me what else i can do??

Assuming you did check that the true outside temperature was not -38C :eek: I guess it would be the wiring from the sensor to the instrument cluster. Unless the issue is at the cluster.

It should be a pair of wires going directly from the sensor to the rear of the cluster (green & brown wires).

Would you have any pics of how and where it's connected? I would appreciate if you do!!!

Would you have any pics of how and where it's connected? I would appreciate if you do!!!

I would have some pics but I don't want to post those here, I'm afraid of the copy right issues. You don't seem to have enough posts to allow sending private mail including your email address. Perhaps you can post your email, just encrypt it enough against spam robots (and delete later on).

I think when you have a reading of -38 it means the temp probe has failed. Not sure wheres yours is, but on my car its located :-

looking at the car from the front, its to the left of the fog light.

Yours may well be in a similar location

Yeah mine is at the front too. Thought the one from the dealer was faulty and so i took it back. They replaced it with another one. Problem is still the same. Still shown -38C!!! Any solution????

My A160 CDi (feel the power...:rock:) has the same issue. Any ideas as to where the sensor may be located? Thanks.

leave it, it'll probably be reading correct within a few weeks.

(It feels about -38deg in my house this afternoon, having patio doors fitted and it's a bit draughty)

Well, I'm afraid it still reads -38C. Any clues as to its location? Thanks.

If there is no indication that it ever works, then it the instrument cluster. I bought my car from new not installed with it. I retrofitted it myself and it showed negative too. I have to contact Merc to get it changed and at that time they were reluctant to change it saying it was already 5 years old.

After much haggling, they agreed to swap the instrument cluster, but I still have to pay installation charge.

Use a STAR to tell you precisely and to ascertain.

With no history, it difficult to say, maybe the instrument cluster was swapped out to hide the mileage, who knows?

Last edited:
My A160 CDi (feel the power...:rock:) has the same issue. Any ideas as to where the sensor may be located? Thanks.

On the old w168 a-class it was situated alongside the front towing eye.

i think i'd put money on it being a faulty sensor, you can always check this if you have a reasonable quality electrical multimeter just measure the resistance (ohms) at a few different tempretures, with the sensor off the car

There is one more (faint) possibility.

I had cause to remove and replace the temperature sender on my old W02. After the job it read something ridiculous. The sender went back in normally but I bent one of the two pins in the socket when reinserting it. Might be worth a look. They look a bit delicate but with a little care can be straightened.

It's located at the right hand side (looking at the front of the vehicle) of the bumper under the foglight. It looks like a small bullet shaped object poking out of a hole.

You should know where the sensor is else if you hit the kerb, the sensor gone. I always bear this in mind everytimes I park by the kerb or facing the kerb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom