Help. Nearly new 2019 e220 estate. Reduce engine oil level message

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The oil temp gauge is visible on the left side of the cockpit display under the engine menu (at least I think it's a temp gauge). I saw the temp of the oil creeping up just after the oil message appeared on the main dash behind the steering. The oil temp reached 133 (into the red zone) . If I'm correct the coolant reading is on the right side of the dash but this did not give a high reading yesterday, even though the coolant tank felt very hot ? Normal . There is clearly leak of pink fluid on top of the coolant tank and below it. When I look at the tank from the side I can't see any pink fluid in the tank through the white plastic, not sure if it should be visible ? I did not remove the lid to look inside.
As Pete says , you should be able to see some coolant in the reservoir ( assuming it is the opaque type and not the dense black type ) ; there should be max and min level marks on the side .

If the reservoir is empty there is not enough coolant in the system . The cap is a spring loaded type meant to contain the normal pressure in the system when hot . When in a pressurised system the water temp can rise above 100deg C without boiling : this is ‘superheated’ water , where boiling is contained by pressure , BUT if there is a leak then the superheated water will turn very quickly to steam as it finds a way out . This can be very hazardous- hence caution required if removing the cap when the system is hot . The cap releases in two stages ; the bayonet fitting will , at the first part of the turn , release pressure on the spring , and can be used to slowly release pressure from a hot system ( best done using a substantial piece of cloth to protect your hand , then when all gas/vapour has been released , the cap can safely be removed . Even then , with a part empty system which has run low , remaining water can boil and bubble inside the engine and scalding hot water can still erupt unexpectedly from the open reservoir..... how do I know this ? 😊. Got the T shirt ...

In short , the only completely safe time to open that cap is when the engine is cold ; if you must add water at the roadside , use extreme caution and expect steam/scalding hot water to come out . If done carefully , with something to protect you , it can be done .

As Pete says , you should be able to see some coolant in the reservoir ( assuming it is the opaque type and not the dense black type )

I never understood the black coolant reservoir - WTF is that all about.
I had a coolant problem on a previous Mercedes and couldn't believe there was a black reservoir

Reactions: 219
I never understood the black coolant reservoir - WTF is that all about.
I had a coolant problem on a previous Mercedes and couldn't believe there was a black reservoir
I suppose a throwback to the days when you had a metal radiator shell and couldn't see inside anyway .

Although I can relate to a friend who has a number of 1950's 170 and 170S , and one pre-war 170 , all of which had an actual radiator ( and not a grille ) and the mascot on top unscrewed since that was the actual radiator cap and not a decoration .

Well the outcome is not good. I had it looked at in my local merc dealership (garage B) and they say there is coolant in the engine oil and the engine may be damaged. The mercedes garage where I purchased it is quite a distance away from where I live (garage A). Garage B mechanic says bottom line is it needs a new engine. Garage A are saying it is under warranty and that the mechanic in B should go along and fit a new replacement engine. Its Friday evening and I should be heading off for the weekend in my 'new' car. I have asked garage A to collect the car and replace it with one with a similiar spec, but Im not even sure if they have anything similiar as it had some extras e.g full leather,memory seats, 360 camera, full comand etc. Opinions please. Is a new engine an option worth considering ? ?

Well the outcome is not good. I had it looked at in my local merc dealership (garage B) and they say there is coolant in the engine oil and the engine may be damaged. The mercedes garage where I purchased it is quite a distance away from where I live (garage A). Garage B mechanic says bottom line is it needs a new engine. Garage A are saying it is under warranty and that the mechanic in B should go along and fit a new replacement engine. Its Friday evening and I should be heading off for the weekend in my 'new' car. I have asked garage A to collect the car and replace it with one with a similiar spec, but Im not even sure if they have anything similiar as it had some extras e.g full leather,memory seats, 360 camera, full comand etc. Opinions please. Is a new engine an option worth considering ? ?
I would be investigating your rights under the Consumer Act to reject for a full refund ?

I would be investigating your rights under the Consumer Act to reject for a full refund ?

I would suggest that Margaret finds out the "Turn Round Time" involved and ask if the Full Engine or Short Engine is to be Replaced, she likes the Spec of her chosen Car and if the change can be done in a short timescale or she has the use of a Car until the work is done, the outcome is New Engine! 👍😁

I am wondering how did this happen ? did poor maintenance contribute ? The service history states it was serviced two weeks ago ! Why was this problem not picked up ? I am told a new engine would only be under warranty until next March 2021 - is that sufficient time to ensure that no other serious problems arise ? Is the resale value also diminished ? I would not go out and deliberately choose a 'nearly' new car with a new engine. John - i see you would not mind ? The mechanic in merc dealership B also says he has never had to put a new engine into an E type, but has on some other older merc models. That also does not inspire me with confidence.

I wouldn't want it and would reject it. I rejected a 19 reg Audi s3 last June. It's not difficult to reject it. It wasn't as serious as your's. I kept finding cosmetic issues (scratches and scuffs) and wasn't happy at the state of it for a car with only 2k miles.
I told them I wanted a full refund and involved customer services. The General manager rang me and said obviously we would like to repair it and for you to keep it but you have the choice of repair or refund as they are your rights. They collected the car and I took the refund and bought elsewhere.

Coolant in engine oil points to cylinder head gasket failure - exactly my worst fear as per my earlier post .

If they were willing to fit a complete new engine , at no cost to you , and with suitable loan car supplied until this was done , then I would view that as satisfactory .

I would not accept a repair to the existing engine .

I would suggest nailing them down to a replacement new engine , or either an equivalent car , or full refund .

Consumer law is on your side , but in practice car dealerships can be hard to deal with .

If difficulties arise , take legal advice without delay .

A genuine new engine , supplied and fitted under warranty would , to my mind , be a satisfactory outcome , but please wait for consensus of opinion .

Thank you all very much for contributions. I am awaiting a call from the used car manager in garage A to discuss, salesman in A has been helpful but is slightly pushing the case for repair under warranty. I am very disappointed. I love the car, its appearance and spec are good. I have been looking for months now and really needed it next week. Warranty on new engine would expire next March 2021 in line with the two year warranty on a new car. He didnt mention whether it was a full engine, will ask though. I presume it would have to be ordered in and will take a while ? weeks. Glad to hear Sarah Ann got a full refund.

Reactions: 219
I would suggest that Margaret finds out the "Turn Round Time" involved and ask if the Full Engine or Short Engine is to be Replaced, she likes the Spec of her chosen Car and if the change can be done in a short timescale or she has the use of a Car until the work is done, the outcome is New Engine! 👍😁
I would suggest it needs to be the full engine since , if I understand correctly the short engine does not include a new cylinder head ?

If coolant has leaked into the oil , it is likely that the cylinder head will have been warped ; at least eroded .

A genuinenew full engine is what I’d require

Thank you for the information. I will be calling into the garage in the morning. It would be a lot less hassle to get it replaced but I dont think I would have any faith in the car. The new engine warranty would only be for nine months and after that I would be caught for any other problems that would arise. The engine number would not match the registration. Good grief. I also cant organise a replacement without the refund. Wonder how long it will take to process if i go that route ? How would i know if it was a full engine ? I suppose it would be on the receipt ? also silly question - would a new engine reset the mileage on the dash ?

Margaret refuse the repair,you are entiltled to another car thats the same spec,if garage A has not got one then they can get one from another MB garage,it makes no sense to you to have a engine change,it will take weeks and in my opinion will effect the value of the car,as already posted on here you can reject the car and ask for your money back,while this is all going on,ask for a loan car,because no matter what happens it ain't going to happen by Monday,and all this is not your fault.

thank you. I have asked for a loan car in garage B but they told me that i could only get one for 3 days, unless the repair is going ahead. Will follow up on that. I thought that I would only be able to get a permanent replacement car from Garage A as they are a network of around 5 dealerships ie i would have to choose from what they have in stock ? I assumed they would not buy in a car for me from a dealership outside their own, but if you are right then that would leave me in a better position to get a car with similar features ?

Margaret, I got my refund in less than a week from the audi garage (lookers). The hold up was they didn't have anyone to collect it for a week. I wanted my part ex back (c250d with under 5k miles on) but they had sold it so I got the invoice price back for full total (my part ex plus cash I paid).

Thank you for info SarahAnn. I had a quick look on autotrader but I cannot see anything with the same spec, no point in really looking I suppose until I get a refund. I loved the 360 camera but i dont think they are standard on all 2019 E220 estates.? Also it had full comand which I think is preferable to Garmin - open to correction. It also had memory seats and full hazelnut leather not to everyones taste but I liked them a lot. I think a lot of the dealerships have been really busy since reopening so their may not be as many to choose from now....

Reject it....Ask them to replace the car with a brand new like for like...also contact Mercedes UK Head Office...This is a bad show all round by the dealer who sold you the car

Agree. Whoever 'serviced' the car 2 weeks ago certainly has questions to answer. Will contact Head Office. Thank you.

You are getting a lot of advice here based on UK consumer law but, as your original post quoted the distance covered in km and you refer to a standard 2 year warranty, I wonder whether you are located elsewhere (ROI perhaps?). In that case some of the advice may not be applicable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom