Help. Nearly new 2019 e220 estate. Reduce engine oil level message

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What smiley said ^^ Long story short , a friend of mine rejected a brand new very 'high end' expensive Italian motorcycle some years ago because its electronic system would switch from 'road' to 'race' without warning leaving him unaware that his almost 190 bhp bike had just switched off all of its safety modes during a rainstorm on a UK B road and sometimes just shutting the bike down dead with no warning.

During his (very) short ownership a technician came over from Italy and replaced the wiring loom and all sorts of stuff, he still rejected it.

Less than a month later it was back for sale through the dealer network. Fixed ? who knows ?

Anything that came from Italy in the seventies and eighties was expected to have electrical gremlins in it as part of the user experience :thumb:

Interested in the story behind Agnews. Are they also a franchise. The buyer of the car is obviously well fed up. His protest is good and should get attention - wonder if the issue was resolved. Surely an oil leak is something they would have fixed for him ? Not good publicity for them. Equally i dont think a long detailed rant on twitter would be welcomed about my own situation if its not sorted quickly.

If your money isn't forthcoming on Monday, certainly a quick call to the BBC for You and Yours or Watchdog wouldn't go amiss...

Results are always more beneficial than revenge in my experience.

The car in the photos is MY2013. From what I managed to read, the new owner is getting an 'add xL oil' message on the dash. He claims it's an oil leak, and that the dealer new about it.

I can see how dealers sell cars without thoroughly checking them as they should. But I really don't understand why the dealer wouldn't put it right? I am guessing that the dealer disagrees with it being an oil leak, and claims that it is normal for the engine to consume some oil? No idea. But I would have imagined that an oil leak on a car they just sold, would be something they'll fix no questions asked?

Another thread here:

Screenshot-20200712-134822-Chrome.jpg

The car in the photos is MY2013. From what I managed to read, the new owner is getting an 'add xL oil' message on the dash. He claims it's an oil leak, and that the dealer new about it.

I can see how dealers sell cars without thoroughly checking them as they should. But I really don't understand why the dealer wouldn't put it right? I am guessing that the dealer disagrees with it being an oil leak, and claims that it is normal for the engine to consume some oil? No idea. But I would have imagined that an oil leak on a car they just sold, would be something they'll fix no questions asked?
One would have thought so .

Perhaps there's more to this story than we are aware of ?

Still searching for replacement second hand E220 estate SE. Want no mechanical issues this time. Is it ok to ask for e mail from service manager to confirm the service record is correct ? Ideally one with 360 camera/ premium pack. Have seen the macchiato leather finish. It's v nice but would it be a serious headache with kids who like to leave their various shoe markings on the back of the front seats. All the others have black leather which I have currently and have managed to keep it looking good with microfibre cloth cleaning and leather cream.

...Is it ok to ask for e mail from service manager to confirm the service record is correct ?

I think you should simply ask to see the car's actual service record for yourself....

Reactions: 219
Still searching for replacement second hand E220 estate SE. Want no mechanical issues this time. Is it ok to ask for e mail from service manager to confirm the service record is correct ? Ideally one with 360 camera/ premium pack. Have seen the macchiato leather finish. It's v nice but would it be a serious headache with kids who like to leave their various shoe markings on the back of the front seats. All the others have black leather which I have currently and have managed to keep it looking good with microfibre cloth cleaning and leather cream.
How much to you want to spend?

Still searching for replacement second hand E220 estate SE.

I can recommend Auto Village website for a search. It includes Main dealer, independants, Autotrader and private sales. You can search by price high or low /location/model etc.

What about Mercland? He advertises his cars on here and his website says he will source cars for buyers. People seem very impressed with the cars on here and he sounds to be a very nice chap to deal with. I haven't bought from him but others on here have

What about Mercland? He advertises his cars on here and his website says he will source cars for buyers. People seem very impressed with the cars on here and he sounds to be a very nice chap to deal with. I haven't bought from him but others on here have

Sarah, I think your suggestion has been posted already!

Jay at Mercland is a star, but he doesn't deal with cars as new as the OP is looking for.

Thanks all. I will look into all your suggestions. I did have the service history on the car I'm rejecting. It said oil change on 17th June. Hence it wasn't reliable and I'm wondering whether I should write or speak to the service manager also in future .

Jay at Mercland is a star, but he doesn't deal with cars as new as the OP is looking for.

That was my thinking as well. Nearly-new cars with high spec and lots of options are mostly sold within the franchised dealer network - they usually start auctioning these cars when they are older. In contras, basic-spec cars will find their way into the forecourts of non-franchised traders quite quickly, even if they are nearly-new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom