Help, need advice on buying a Used CLK 270 CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GTID

Car
2007 CLK 320 CDI AVANTGARDE
Hello, I was looking for some advice on buying an 03 or 04 plate CLK 270 CDI.

I am a MB newbie so was wondering what I need to look out for on a car of this age. I've done a little research and heard about torque converter & Valeo radiator problems.

Can anybody expand on this and any other questions I should be asking the seller?

I believe the Avantgarde is the model I should be looking at, I've seen some for sale at severai dealers for around the £7-8K mark. Does anyone know what price I should be paying for a decent example? Any issues with mileage etc?

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance

The cars are very solid. Although the valeo issue is supposed to be a problem on the CLK, ive never had a CLK diesel go wrong in this area.

Only other issue with that engine is leaking injectors, easily identified by smell of diesel under the bonnet or through the vents.

Elegance is slightly softer suspension and wood trim inside whereas the avantgarde is set up sportier, bigger 17" wheels and with the fake aluminium trim. Personal preference but I actually prefer the Elegance.

The 5cyl engine is, to use a cliche, bulletproof. It's the same engine what's in the bigger engined Sprinters which are known to cover 400-500k.

Around the age of car that you are looking at is roughly the time of the changeover to galvanised bodies, so check for any oxidisation. I can't say that I've seen any W209s with rust, but best to check.

Check everything electrical works and make sure that the gear changes are nice and smooth when warm.

If you can stretch to a CLK320 CDi, I would strongly recommend it; nothing wrong with the 270 per se, it's just the 3.0 V6 diesel engine is an absolute beauty. With a budget of £8k you shouldn't be that far away. The mpg is roughly the same as well.

Thanks for the sound advice sweetpea.

I've had a look around and seen a few 320 CDI's but typically they all seem to have mileage around 120k plus for 55 plate onwards.

Not ever having bought a car with so many miles on the clock before it scares me slightly. What would your advice be?

I have the same V6 CDi engine in my E Class and it's done 130k and you wouldn't know at all.

Anything over 100k, service history is paramount.

Hello everyone, I went to see a CLK 320 at the weekend, it was advertised as a CDI but turned out to be a petrol.

The seller mentioned that he prefers the petrols due to injector problems on the 270 & 320 CDI's. He said that the 270's especially were prone to this problem & expensive to put right.

Does anyone know what he's talking about?

Hello everyone, I went to see a CLK 320 at the weekend, it was advertised as a CDI but turned out to be a petrol.

The seller mentioned that he prefers the petrols due to injector problems on the 270 & 320 CDI's. He said that the 270's especially were prone to this problem & expensive to put right.

Does anyone know what he's talking about?

Nope - never had a fuel system problem on my 270. Personally, I think he is scaring you into buying his petrol as it will be a bugger to sell in the current economic environment :)

he is scaring you into buying his petrol as it will be a bugger to sell in the current economic environment :)

^^couldn't agree more.

I've only heard of injector problems on the 2.2 which was used in the Vitos & Sprinters as well, not in the 2.7 or the 3.0 CDi.

So yes, he is pulling your leg a bit.

Thanks again everyone for the sound advice, much appreciated, however I need some further information.

I am going to see a 2007 CLK 320CDI which is 1 owner from new and has apparently done 122k miles with full MB service history.

What questions should I be asking the seller?
When should the torque convertor have been replaced?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks again everyone for the sound advice, much appreciated, however I need some further information.

I am going to see a 2007 CLK 320CDI which is 1 owner from new and has apparently done 122k miles with full MB service history.

What questions should I be asking the seller?
When should the torque convertor have been replaced?

Any advice will be appreciated.

You can verify the services with Mercedes themselves, google MB Milton Keynes. The services should be roughly 12k miles apart, so it might have done 9 or 10 at that mileage.

I'm not too sure what you mean by the 'torque converter being replaced'. That was never a problem on the 7 speed gearbox as far as I'm aware.

Leaky injectors are a problem on the 270 cdi engine, we've done a few along with the other well documented problems related to the 7 speed gearbox. Never seen a torque converter issue though. I'm not saying injector issues are common on the 270 but it does happen on this engine so service history and a full check is a must..

You can verify the services with Mercedes themselves, google MB Milton Keynes. The services should be roughly 12k miles apart, so it might have done 9 or 10 at that mileage.

I'm not too sure what you mean by the 'torque converter being replaced'. That was never a problem on the 7 speed gearbox as far as I'm aware.

Thanks again sweetpea, that's exactly the sort of advice I was looking for as I am so obviously a MB newbie.

Is there anything else specific I should look out for apart from the service history?

Just the usual really. As good as the engine is, the rest of it will still have done 122k, so maybe try and concentrate on the wear and tear items as well as the history.

Is it the black CLK320 CDi at about iirc £8k on Autotrader?

Just the usual really. As good as the engine is, the rest of it will still have done 122k, so maybe try and concentrate on the wear and tear items as well as the history.

Is it the black CLK320 CDi at about iirc £8k on Autotrader?

Yes that's the one.

Have you test drove the 320 or the 270 yet?

Well having just spoken again to the seller, he's had a look at the service book and it was last serviced @ 106k miles, next service due in approx. 1100 miles.

I asked him how many services had been done and he said that it had gone through 6 services all at Mercedes. I asked him about the ATF and he said that it hadn't been changed.

Am I wrong to be put off now I've heard this information.

If he will give you the VIN get in touch with Mercedes head office and they will let you know if it's been serviced to schedule and the exact mileage of the last service.

Is it the one at Luton? Is the car far from you?

Don't be too put off just yet, speak to Mercedes and then let us know what they say.

If he will give you the VIN get in touch with Mercedes head office and they will let you know if it's been serviced to schedule and the exact mileage of the last service.

Is it the one at Luton? Is the car far from you?

Don't be too put off just yet, speak to Mercedes and then let us know what they say.

It is the one in Luton and is not too far from me. I have asked for the VIN and if he gives it I will let you know what Mercedes say.

It is the one in Luton and is not too far from me. I have asked for the VIN and if he gives it I will let you know what Mercedes say.

Good luck pal. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom