Help needed boots springs warranty on 220 CDI sport 56 plate - info for tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smarties2006

Car
220 CDI Sport - 4 door 06/56
Hi All,

Right I have had my car since september and bought it approved merc

Its a 220CDi Sport Edition 56 plate 4 door with 26k on the clock

Now when I test drove I was sure the boot sprung all the way up upon pressing the remote or button on the door as thought thats neat and will be ideal when putting the shopping in etc...:bannana:

Within a day I tried the boot and it just pos up a little. I have had it into merc and they say it is normal as they had a identical car in and it did the same, the springs are at full tension and thats nothing they could do. I said I am sure it goes all the way up and they have refered it to merc - 6 weeks later no news and they are calling me tomorrow.

So tonight I went out removed the breakdown triangle and hey presto it goes all the way up so me the springs are weak.....

I would like to know if anyone has the same model and does theirs spring al the way up or if anyone knows what it should do.

Thanks all

Mark

Last edited:
Our clk springs fully open, previous C -class saloon did not. Hope this helps.

It's cold, the gas struts don't work anywhere near as effectively when it is cold and they do age making them weaker.

Yeah our gas struts our A4 is playing up but the merc had the fault in september so sure the springs must be weak for the boot lid, just curious to know whats other cars are doing. thanks for your help mate

That car does not have gas struts. They should replace the springs under warranty. They should come fully open and there is a way to make this happen. Set the springs to max tension first then lube the mechanism where the hinge is behind the carpets on both sides. The lube should be put on the foamy sliders (can't think of a better way to describe them!) and then the boot should pop oopen fully.

It never will if you have a boot spoiler.

Thanks Olly, I thought so.

Mine has the standard little molded boot lip, assume this will be fine?

That is enough for it to stop opening.

Ok cool, cheers for the help.

Will see what they say tomorrow, I hope as the spoiler is factory fit they might replace the boot springs and see what it does. Fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom