Help Needed Dual Core or Single Core Processor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rirhill

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Estate
Hi Chaps
Its time to rebuild my computer and I was wondering if its too early to buy a dual core processor (price and use). My price range would allow me to either a
P4 "830" Dual Core 3.0GHz or P4 "650" 3.4GHz any advise. I am looking to get a Asus P5ND2-SLI motherboard?
Does anybody have any advise on the above choices or maybe an alternative?

Regards
Ian

I have had a dual core system for a few years at work - depends what you are going to use it for and what applications are optimised in that way. Windows isn't...

It is still early days for dual core technologies. Although XP is optimised to take advantage of multiple processors you will find very little support for any other software i.e games, apps etc. So it seems that the money would be better spent on a fast single core machine right now.
By the time multi-threaded games and apps hit the shelves the dual core system you invest in today will probably need updating anyway.
Also don't spend alot of money on "bleeding edge" technology as you can get a system that is 90% as quick as a top end system but costs you 40% less.
Mac.

Last edited:
Two pc questions one night :)

When I built our new PC in Sept I had the same choice (but not intel).

So I got all the parts I wanted in the first place but not a very good processor. Reason being I was not sure what upgrade I wanted (plus i had already spent £1,200 without the processor), I have told my father I would build them a pc for xmass. I kept all the ram etc from my dell which intend to use on my mothers PC she will be getting the processor out of mine, and I have to decide to go AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 Socket 939 1MB Inc Fan or AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Socket 939 1MB Box

Still not sure what to do :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom