Help needed on model choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zachrisen

Car
BMW
I am considering different mercedes models for a used car.
My options are:

2004 500CL
2005 CLK55AMG
2006 ML500

Now, the advice I need is from thos of you with experience from these models.

How do they compare when it comes to comfort, quality feel, and ride ?

All advice will be appreciated.

CLK55 AMG out of that lot.

You aren't going to see a huge difference in economy between those three - but a huge difference in performance.

Just so long as the CLK meets your requirements - but I guess it does because otherwise it would not be in your shortlist...

Clk 55, no contest!

Great input !

Thanks for sharing guys.
So far an overwhelming support for the CLK55amg.

But I have to ask, is that out of a performance point of view?

I will rate comfort, far above pure speed and accelaration.

Is the CLK really as comfortable as the CL ?

Anyone who`s tried/owned both here ?

Apples, Oranges or Pears

Different cars - what do want from it?
Agreed, all very different, albeit the one that stands out as the anomaly is the ML for me. CL - Big Coupe/CLK Small Coupe - ML- big wallowy 4X4 (I have a 2010 300)

For outright performance its gotta be the AMG
Nice smooth and classy ride CL
Great soft ride & 4WD - ML

Full facelift CLK55 can be quite refined as is the CL but as others have said, these are all different cars so what do you want out of them?

Agreed, all very different, albeit the one that stands out as the anomaly is the ML for me. CL - Big Coupe/CLK Small Coupe - ML- big wallowy 4X4 (I have a 2010 300)

For outright performance its gotta be the AMG
Nice smooth and classy ride CL
Great soft ride & 4WD - ML

Thank you, appreciate it.
I did try the ml500 the other day. But I experienced the ride as quite harsh and stiff. (maybe I`m getting older, but it`s the first time ever that I liked the comfort setting better than the sport setting..)

I don`t need the 4wd for any reason, only considering the ml because I like the looks.

If I understand right the CL will be the most comfortable, less noisy alternative ?

Thanks.
I consider all of them because I like the designs/looks.
I don`t need a 4wd for any reason.
I don`t need supercar, but I do enjoy a good engine and plenty of resources.
I want a really smooth and comfortable ride, that`s priority nr. 1.

The cl500 is lightyears better than a clk55 in terms of comfort. If that is your no.1 priority, there is no choice.

Try a CL 600 bi turbo, comfort and power in abundance.
20mpg. If you can afford the running costs there is nothing like it.
Had a problem with the air con and the abc pump, both fixed under tier 1 warranty.
As a rule I seldom keep a car longer than a few months, I bought this one in July 2011, says a lot. Go on, you know you want one.

I can't imagine any of those three being uncomfortable...

The cl500 is lightyears better than a clk55 in terms of comfort. If that is your no.1 priority, there is no choice.

Thank you, if the difference is that big, that`s the kind of answers I was looking for.

Yes, I think all these models have more power than I really need. They never called me back after Daniel Craig got the part as James Bond ;-) So I guess I should take a hint.

I see on the reliability index, these cars come off as non-reliable. What is your ecperiences on this. Is the reliability index reliable or not.........?

True JohnEBoy, it`s matter of choosing the most comfortable of the comfortable :)

Yes the CL has by far the best seats and the best suspension set up for comfort. It is also the most expensive to repair and service.
IMO it's a price worth paying.

My choice a CL55 AMG KOMPRESSOR , but I would say that as I collect one next Saturday, good luck with your choice
Gary

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I am a lot wiser now, ready for some testdriving.

In the CL range, how is the 55amg compared to the 500.
I understand the performance is better of course, but is it a lot harder/stiffer than the 500?

Does it handle bumps and surface cracks/holes as good as the 500 or does the performance cost something on the comfort-side ?

Do you know?

And congrats on you expecting a 55amg, a beautiful classic!

This may sound completely mad but I've brought the 55 KOMP without even driving it! Waited a long time and found a good 53 plate low mileage with everything and just brought it. Will report in a couple of weeks if I get a chance to drive it with the forecasted snow

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom