Help needed please. Buying 1983 500 SEC not driven for 8 years.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steadyeddie

Car
Mercedes CLK 320 W208
Any help with the below would be greatly appreciated. I'm about to buy a 1983 500 SEC that has been sitting for 8 years. Before I jump in two footed I have a few questions;

1). I've heard that you can cause damage by starting the car? Before I turn the key, what needs to be done?

2). Are there any problems related to this car that I should be looking for.

3). Cosmetically the car is in great shape and has just over 60k miles on the clock. What is a sensible value?

Thanks in advance

Ed

Im not a mechanic so cant really give any useful advice. But i would be VERY cautious starting a car that has been sat for that long. i would assume non of the components will be lubricated by this point so the risk of damage would be quite high. my dad has recently had to have the gearboxes rebuilt on his dodge charger and ford galaxie (71 not people carrier) both due to being left for a long period without being started.

I would defiantly seek the advice of some one that really know what they are doing before i went turning the key!

good luck :)

I would turn the engine over by hand before using the starter motor, then crank it on the starter a few times to build oil pressure, then fire it up.

Obviously, it's worth checking it has oil in the engine first.
Last car I bought had been standing for 7 years and isn't knackered, though I did have to do the head gasket.

Just remove the fuel pump fuse or relay and crank it over for 30 seconds or so in short bursts to circulate the oil before firing it up. As DM says, ensure it has the correct amount of oil in before trying. Check coolant as well or you risk the head being damaged.

You could take the spark plugs out first to make turning the engine over less of a strain on the battery and whilst they were out have them cleaned and gapped which may aid starting.

Last edited:
Before you buy it just check it has coolant, oil & all the other fluids & turn the key.

Tyres may need replacing

Make sure the car has enough oil in the engine, and all other fluids are at the correct levels. Then turn it over by hand, you will find it easier if you remove the spark plugs. There will be a lot of moisture in the distributor cap, clean this out and clean the end of the rotor arm also.

Once it is turning over smoothly by hand, clean the spark plugs with a wire brush and put them back in. Remove the fuel pump relay, you can now turn the engine over on the starter to run the oil round the engine.

If all looks well and the oil pressure rises on the gauge, put the fuel pump relay back in and it should start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom