Help needed wiring in LED Footwell Strips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
1998 C250 TD Sport
Hi guys,

I was wondering if there is a way to wire in LED footwell strips so that they dim with the dome light the doors are closed? And turn on when the car is unlocked with the remote, etc..
Any help would be much appreciated, at the moment the only partial success I am having is this suggestion from Google, and its for a Ford :eek:

Wiring interior LED strips to dim with dome light... - The Ford Focus Forum | Powered by Focaljet

Thanks!

You'd need to tap into the dome light supply or if you have door controls hook them up to the plug in the door controls which were in facelift W202 cars. Yours may have the controls behind the door cards.

Thanks for the quick reply! I do have the door controls, as I recently Retro-fitted Door puddle lights, by plugging them into Pins 1 & 5. However, the puddle lights do not Dim, they go out as soon as the door is closed.
With that in mind, do you think I might be better tapping the Dome light?

Be careful but my idea would be yes if you want it to dim and not just go out..... mind you the puddle lights should dim and not just go out.

Find the power and ground for the dome light supply and tap it.

That's interesting about the puddle lights dimming. I wonder why mine don't :confused:

To tap into the dome light am I right in thinking that I would have to go up the A-Pillar, along the roof lining, then into the dome, or is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks again :thumb:

A word of warning if you want them to dim.
LEDs work differently to incandescent bulbs in that their brightness is controlled by current (or modulation), not voltage.
You may find that they do not dim in the same way as the interior light. They may even be off/on.
You may of course find that they DO dim just like the interior light, in which case great!

If you are thinking of tapping into the interior light, it might be worth pulling the interior light, and running a couple of wires to the footwell LEDs to check that they perform as expected. Might save you a bit of time.

Cheers Ted! I will try that as soon as I can and report back :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom