Help Needed with LED bulbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CiaranMcKeown

Car
C220 CDI Black
Ok, so i went out and got myself a set of LED sidelights to go beside my Xenon headlights because i hate the orange look of the original sidelights. I also got 2 Festoon shape bulbs with white LED's for the illumination of the rear number plate as one of those had blown so i thought the LED's there would clean up the look of the rear.

Now i read somewhere that when you fit LED bulbs you have to fit a resistor somewhere or somehow to fool the Bulb Warning coming up in the dash, so, i need a little more information on what materials i need to go and get and where i can go and get them.

Once i get it done I will post a detailed how to for everyone else with before and after shots of the front and back. Thanks in advance.

If you shop around you can actually buy the LED bulbs that have the resistor already fitted but they are a tad more expensive than the basic ones.

I think I read that some cars only have bulb failure warnings on certain lights- ?interior not included on some & might not be on the number plate- try taking a bulb out & see if it triggers dash warning. If not, then no need to worry about resistors!

Yeah the following are lights that trigger a warning (that i know of)

Headlights
Sidelights
All indicators ( including the wing mirrors )
Brake light
Tail light
Reverse light
Fog light front and rear
Number plate lights

So i think all exterior lights have wattage sensitivity.

I know my interior boot light does not work and theres no warning for that.

Front searching for housr yesterday i have found that there is a person on ebay that sells the good sidelights and also sells a crimp resistor that will fool the OBD that there is a correct bulb. So orderd a few and i'll let yous know how i go.

I've not had much luck trying to source some festoon LED bulbs with built in resistors for number plate lights.

I was suggested BREX do such a thing but can't find anyone that stocks them, although that's probably a good thing as my source in the US suggests that they're about $110 dollars :eek:

go to maplings and buy 2x 22Ohm 7W resistors and connect them in parrallell, thats what i did and they work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom