Help new key needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zipdip

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
s320
Hi Ok went to get a key reprogrammed ,the guy had all the equipment ,he ended up taking the barrel out,took it apart and examined the chip under a magnifying glass and said I have a new barrel in my 57 reg W221 S320,and so he could not do it,ok there was no charge,but I am left with a problem,I understand that you take your log book your passport and a letter from god to the local Mercedes dealer and they get a key from Germany for I understand £250,but how will they know from my vin that it has had a new barrel fitted sometime in the past,I would hate to pay the money and get a key that does not work.:wallbash:

^ I've done the above Zipdip with no problem at all, Id had thought seeing as you can only get a key / barrel EIS from Mb that they would know if it had.

Had mine within 1 wk.

Ok will give it a go,Colchester Mercedes here I come, if it all goes pear shaped I know where you hang out lol.

GoogleReplacementMercedesKeys they are cheaper than MB and have a good reputation

GoogleReplacementMercedesKeys they are cheaper than MB and have a good reputation

I went to a London guy who can do it just like the company you mentioned,I decided to make the shorter trip to London rather than Birmingham,the place is under the arches it resembled a war zone,I managed to creep the car between the dead and dying past a spray shop ,the guy opened the panel at the end of the dash removed the two small bolts swung out the fuses and then took out the barrel we then went to his small workshop he then took the barrel apart examined the chip and said it is the latter chip and cannot be done,I think from 2009 new chips were fitted,so my car has had a newer version barrel fitted at some time after 2009,I have been real busy this morning but I will ring Colchester Mercedes and give them my VIN and ask them to contact Germany and see if they have on record that my vin has had a new barrel fitted if not then that route is closed to me and I have to find a barrel with two keys that I can get programmed to the car a complete pain:wallbash:

So I called Colchester Mercedes,the parts guy confessed he has not been long at Mercedes and tried to tell me I had to bring the car in I said I know all that but could he just run the vin through to Germany and see if they have a new barrel against it,hold on I will talk to somebody he came back and asked has my key got 3 buttons I told him what the car was and yes it has 3 buttons he then took the reg and came up with my car,then suggested that I get onto the service dept as they may have details of it being fitted ,I asked do they still print out the service and work records he said he thought they might,so I will go to the service department when I am next in Colchester and maybe get a print out that may give me a clue as to if I can order a key from Mercedes that will work,I knew this would get complicated.I will get on Ebay and see if a barrel is available as a fall back position.

My son in law gave me two empty keys. A friend took out the electronic part out of the old worn ones into the new blanks, two new keys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom