HELP! - Non MB technical help needed, Shredded Torx Screw removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whizzkid11

Car
On a nice lovely weekend, I decided to help my neighbour upgrade his interior - removing the rear seats from a BMW.

We removed the rear base, and then had to remove the seat belt from folding rear seat. At the base of the rear seat back there is a single screw (Fillister Head screw)

So I undid the one of the left in pic shown - anti clockwise unscrewed fine.

The second one shown on the right hand side, we started unscrewing anti clockwise, turned about half turn, very tight - after which the torx head started turning, without realising, assuming it was too stiff, it sheared away the torx. Have tried larger torx head - its just not budging.

Now I am stuck with the tight torx screw that its no longer a torx head.

We am really stuck, any ideas or help with how to remove this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

seatbelt1.jpg

seatbelt2.jpg

seatbelt3.jpg

Molegrips? Although if the correct driver did not unscrew it must be very tight.

Sharp chisel hammered into the head at right angles to it this will give you indentation which you can then use the chisel at an angle to drive it round.

Swearing at the dam thing helps!

A friend in need is a pain the ar$$ :p

Cut into the head of the screw to make a ‘flat head style fitting’ using a rotary tool, and then use a flat head screwdriver?

Had to do this yesterday on my dining table. LOL

Try filing a couple of flats on opposite sides, you may then be able to get an open ended spanner on it...
this ^^^^^

Drill in to it and use a stud remover. They really do work and easily available. I had never used one before but when I was rebuilding my 450 engine I did strip the centres out sheared some studs off. The remover worked really well. If it is really impossible to get out and you know an experienced welder get them to weld a bolt on to it. The heat helps ease it and you just unscrew it using the bolt head.

Molegrips (proper ones) Stilsons, grind flats and open ender, hammer and chisel. All as mentioned previously. You should be successful.

Good luck

On a nice lovely weekend, I decided to help my neighbour upgrade his interior - removing the rear seats from a BMW.

We removed the rear base, and then had to remove the seat belt from folding rear seat. At the base of the rear seat back there is a single screw (Fillister Head screw)

So I undid the one of the left in pic shown - anti clockwise unscrewed fine.

The second one shown on the right hand side, we started unscrewing anti clockwise, turned about half turn, very tight - after which the torx head started turning, without realising, assuming it was too stiff, it sheared away the torx. Have tried larger torx head - its just not budging.

Now I am stuck with the tight torx screw that its no longer a torx head.

We am really stuck, any ideas or help with how to remove this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

seatbelt1.jpg

seatbelt2.jpg

seatbelt3.jpg

Looking at the size of the Screw Head you have the capacity of using Mole Grips, failing that drilling into the head and a Easy Out is the only alternative!

Try an impact driver on a slightly larger torx bit....but make sure that you set the driver to the correct position ( Left or Right hand thread )

Sorry do not agree that larger torx is solution, this will only mangle the bolt and damage the torx bit and damage the bolt further.

Agree easy out is last option but only if previous options do not work

Do you have a small blowtorch to heat it up before trying, need a pencil thin flame so that you do not damage the (nylon) seat belt.

Next time neighbor needs help tell him you will be unavailable as you will be washing hair :rolleyes: or poking eyes out with rusty nail !

Add time wd40, leave it for a day then make it as a flat screw with angle grinder. Or use a grinder to make the bold square and use a spanner or impactor drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did exactly that to the rear seatbelt screw. I found a proper 'old school' type back street, engineering garage local to us and they drilled out for a tenner.

Sounds very much like that if it’s turned a bit already, it could well be corrosion on the thread on the underside. Before doing anything else I’d spray easing oil underneath if it’s accessible, (try and get some under the belt onto the thread also) leave overnight, stilsons or mole grips, turn it back in slightly, spray some more easing oil and it should undo then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dont waste your time with mold grips, dremels etc etc. Get grinder out and cut it off or simply cut a line across it with the grinder. Then use a strong screwdriver. When something like this happens do not waste your time messing about with stuff that 99% of the time does not work. Penetrating oil and wait a day ? Cmon seriously I know and every good mechanic/engineer knows when a head rounds on a screw or nut. There is only one thing to resolve it and thats HEAT. weither its from a torch or a grinder. Use a cutting disk and grind thin line into it. If no use just grind it off and u will be able to remove the remaining stuck bit with grips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom