help on gear selector please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

standupking36

Car
ml320
hi all, im new to the mb club! i've just bought my self a 2006 ml320 w164, my question is, in the gear selector display there is the letter S in the lower right corner, should this be on at all times or only when sport mode is selected, when using the S/M switch it just changes from M to S is this correct please?

My W164 is late 2006 but doesn't have any S/M option, only the "locking out" of higher gears using the steering wheel paddle switches.

When yours is in "M", how do you change gear manually?

using the paddle switches on the steering wheel, R
N
D
S
thats how my display looks, then press the s/m button & the s changes to m but im not sure if im running in sport mode all the time

standupking36 said:
using the paddle switches on the steering wheel, R N D S thats how my display looks, then press the s/m button & the s changes to m but im not sure if im running in sport mode all the time

Different car, but on mine in D it will drive in C mode by default, then selecting the S/M/C button it goes to S (sport) then select again goes to M manual, I'd of thought in D yours should technically be in a 'C' mode, then only switching to S only when selected

Mmmmmm... SM...:D:thumb::eek:

All right, I'll get m' coat.

As your ML can only be a few months older than mine, I guess they found the earlier system too confusing!

I have to say that changing gears with the buttons that rotate with the steering wheel is a nightmare...it's bad enough using it to lock out higher gears when on the move. The thought of using the steering wheel buttons during a twisty B-road blast makes me want to have a lie-down..

I now do what most drivers do and leave it in "D" all the time. There's quite enough to do keeping the ML up the right way over bumpy, off-camber country lanes without having to find the right buttons on a spinning wheel...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom