Help. Passenger airbag light on constantly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

artywood

Car
Mercedes c180 coupes (c204)
Hi
Please can anyone help me with this issue I am having with my Mercedes C204 on 62 plate (2012).
Around a month ago I noticed the passenger airbag light on in the middle console just under the radio. I done some reading and from what I gather this should only come on for a few seconds then go off again. This is not the case in my car as this is constantly on even when the key is out and fully locked. Also there is are no other warning lights showing up.
I don’t know that much about cars so if anyone has experienced this before and worked out how to solve this then I would appreciate any help.
I have attached a photo to show you which light I am referring too as I may not be to clear in what I am saying to anyone who knows cars.

Thanks for any help. :D

Attachments

• Airbag light.jpg
    Airbag light.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 25
You don't have a Mercedes child seat in there by any chance do you?

Hi
No I don’t have anything on the seat.
The light is always on if someone is in the seat or not and even when locked up at night the lights still on. The only time I managed to get the light off is when I disconnected the battery. :dk:

I'm thinking you have a short somewhere? Probably under the seat. Have a look and see if you can unplug any connectors under there or spot any obvious damage. Has anybody emptied a drink down there or dropped some metal stuff?

I have 2 plugs under the passenger seat which I have tried wiggling the wires and pushing them in but no change.
If I unplug the plugs will I not get an error on my dash? Just asking as don’t want to have to take car to Mercedes to clear fault if I can help it.

Brucemillar thinking about it my wife did spill some water over the front of my dash when she tried to put a bottle on the top about 6 weeks ago. The radio went off for about 10 mins and the satnav stopped for a little while. They are all working fine now but do you think this could have caused the issue?
If so do you think I would need to take the section out and change something? Not sure if there is a fuse or what so any help is appreciated.
:)

My thinking is that the light is being permanently powered. It may be just the light that is faulty and nothing else. Can you get to the light?

Unplugging may well result in the car storing a fault.

Not sure but it might be that your car thinks there is a child seat and a mercedes one with the sensor,because I seem to remember that the light that is on in your car has to be on all the time a child seat is in the car,just maybe a session on a Star might sort it,

As the light is on *all* the time, and you spilled water in the area, I suspect water went into the panel below COMAND/Audio and has shorted something out meaning the LED has power all the time.

If it was a sensor issue, it wouldn;t be on with ignition off. The airbag module is under the COMAND on the transmission tunnel. There is a risk water has got in there, but actually that whole panel is not directly connected to the airbag unit - it gets signal over a network connection.

If you are near lightwater we can work it out for you :) And we have some spare used sets of those switch packs from where we have added options to cars in the past.

Richard

Thanks guys and I think Richard you may have a good point here.
I have googled how to remove this section and it's just a case of removing the trim and then audio as this is attached. there is a fuse at the bottom of this and I will have a go at getting to this and see if it's blown.
If all else fails then I guess I am looking at a new unit. Any idea how much they cost and also fitting?

Thanks guys and I think Richard you may have a good point here.
I have googled how to remove this section and it's just a case of removing the trim and then audio as this is attached. there is a fuse at the bottom of this and I will have a go at getting to this and see if it's blown.
If all else fails then I guess I am looking at a new unit. Any idea how much they cost and also fitting?

That switch pack is fixed to the bottom of the COMAND. The COMAND is screwed in from the top so have to remove all the vents
There are no related fuses anywhere near there. (there are no fuses unless for aftermarket stuff). If there was a blown fuse, it is far more likely something wouldn't light up rather than lighting up.

Richard

Ahh yes Richard silly me as like you say if it was a blown fuse then the light would not be on at all. So I guess it may be a new switch unit I need.

Unfortunately I live in Northumberland and it would be quite a drive down to lightwater for you to look at my car for me.

You say you have some spare used sets of those switch packs. Would you be willing to sell me one?

Thanks
Arty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom