Help ! Plastering over tiles in bathroom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garystu1965

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Coupe
Hi peeps,

I have decided to re-tile my bathroom after initially using tile paint to make them white. The bathroom looks too clinical and tiles are on every wall - too much. What I want to do is have one wall bare so I can use a pastel paint.

What's the best way to make this tiled wall look like a normal wall so I can paint a different colour paint over the whole wall ?

1. Use polyfiller to fill in the grout lines, smooth over, sand and then paint the whole wall ?

2. Use skimming plaster to plaster the whole wall ?

3. Use step 1 then step 2 ?

4. Get a plasterer to do it

5. I'm stuck with the tiles.

I don't really want to rip the tiles off the wall.

Any ideas ? Thanks.

Rip the tiles off the wall, then re-plaster.

Depending on the size of the wall, this shouldn't cost much at all - at a guess, £100/200ish (for the plastering).

If you've got experience, skimming plaster on a relatively small area isn't that hard over a flat surface.

If you try and bodge it, it'll look rubbish!

Will

Rip the tiles off the wall, then re-plaster.

Depending on the size of the wall, this shouldn't cost much at all - at a guess, £100/200ish (for the plastering).

If you've got experience, skimming plaster on a relatively small area isn't that hard over a flat surface.

If you try and bodge it, it'll look rubbish!

Will

Agreed.........anything else will look :crazy:

Not sure if you can plaster directly onto painted tiles - the problem is the plaster has to key to the undersurface. Having said that their maybe some proprietary systems or special plasters designed spacifically for this job.
Only a sugestion -What about cladding the wall ? - you can get plastic cladding in marble wood effects from B&Q but are expensive! - or maybe keep the tiles and fix a long horizontal mirror on the wall as feature.

I've just had to rip off two layers of tiles in my bathroom, drylined the walls and fixed new tiles on top - nice smooth surface and the bathroom is nearly 2cm wider ;)

As long as the original layer of tiles is firmly fixed to the wall and level, tile on top. Use a dry mix adhesive rather than a ready made, and use a separate dry mix grout afterwards - don't use an all in one adhesive and grout, as they tend to be weaker adhesives and too sticky grout!

I think Culpano wants the tiles off the wall in question - to have an un-tiled wall for painting, as opposed to re-tiling though ;)

Fair point though for the other walls :)

Will

Last edited:
I think Culpano wants the tiles off the wall in question - to have an un-tiled wall for painting, as opposed to re-tiling though ;)

Will

Aha - in that case dryline over the top of the one wall, skim the joints and paint a few coats with a decent bathroom paint

Dry-lining is fine - but ultimately the room gets smaller and smaller......

If it's a solid wall, the tiles should chip off fairly easy - just bang a bolster in from one end and lever them off.

If it's a plasterboard wall, do the same, but GENTLY !!!!!

Failing that, use the computerised method......

1. type www.google.co.uk
2. type plasterer
3. click search
4. sit back and brew up

I would have thought that if it was a plasterboard wall another option would be to remove the board with the tiles on and re-board.

Tillers son who was my hired muscle a few years ago when fitting a kitchen showed how easily the tiles would come off after a gentle collision with hammer. Only took 10 minutes!

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom