help please 190E,1992,1.8l manual

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bennypc

Car
190E,K reg,1992,1.8 litre
Hi,
I am new to the group. I recently bought a 190E 1.8 litre K reg(1992) with 148k mileage. I have couple of problems:
1. car starts with a metallic noise and that keeps up with acceleration.
2.When the car is in neutral, there is a starnge noise if the clutch is released.
I almost sound like an old diesel car now!

Is it due to timing belt,valve lifter,cam??
Is the sound when clutch released, from the a worn friction plate?
any help will be greatly appreciated.
regards
ben

Sounds as if you have problems in the flywheel/starting ring gear clutch area. Best to take the car to a knowledgeable independant in your area soon for a detailed assessment before something major comes adrift.
PS You dont have a timing belt but a double (duplex) timing chain. the tensioner or plastic chain guides can break up but the double chains are usually ok.

Last edited:
bennypc said:
1. car starts with a metallic noise and that keeps up with acceleration.
2.When the car is in neutral, there is a starnge noise if the clutch is released.
I almost sound like an old diesel car now!

ben
At (1) can you be a little more descriptive of the noise? - Regular or irregular, tapping, grinding, knocking, rattling for example, and is it coming from the engine area or also from the gearbox, like the noise at (2)? They could be connected.
As for your clutch noise, no matter whether it is a broken thrust spring, worn release bearing or whatever, it will require removal of the gearbox. With the work involved here it would be prudent in any case to renew the clutch assembly as a complete kit.

1. I'm pretty sure the tapping noise is the exhaust manifold gasket, just have a look if noise is coming from that area. the gasket is made of thin metal and will breakup due to the heat.

2. ?

ps: by the way how much did u pay for ur car?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom