Help please, 300d problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamesfuller

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C240 Elegance & S210 E320 CDi Avantgarde
Ive just had a bit of a nightmare drive home from Nottingham.

I went to brake and had a solid pedal, luckily only doing 60mph;)
Hooked the left foot under it, no Lucozade bottle. Maybe a split hose, so pulled into a handy layby.
Engine wont switch off! Ah, suppose its vacuum. Try to fold the headrests and sure enough, they wont.

Just got home and had to suffocate the engine.

Car is a 95 300d 24v. (124)

Also the rattling noise of the last day or two has now gone. Must have been breaking up!

I dont have much experience with diesels, anyone have a good source for pumps. Any ideas how much this is going to cost?

Any suggestions welcome.:thumb:

Whatever you do, do not start the engine again until you have removed and inspected the vacuum pump!

On some of the earlier vac pumps the bearings can break up, and the debris can enter the timing case with severe consequences.

This is something I've never come across. On American forums they talk of replacing them at 250K - that's probably why it's a problem I've never seen

I'd do a bit of research before replacing just the pump

Nick Froome

Thanks for the replies.

The Vacuum pump had developed a bit of a problem. It has been replaced and all missing parts accounted for in the timing case.
Car has been delivered back to me and is running super smooth, lovely and quiet again.
220,000 miles out of the original so I cant complain!

Glad it is sorted James. My heart sank a little when I saw your post. I was just hoping it was not terminal.

My 300D Estate is on 206K miles. Ill make a note to have my vacuum pump changed some time next year.

James bought his 300D 24V Saloon from me :D I still miss the dang thing.

After seeing the old one, I would say replace every 200k to be on the safe side!

John, the car is running smooth as silk and is a pleasure to drive, its eating up the normal 70 mile commute with ease. Good for towing as well! It certainly worked hard during the house move.
Soon I will have settled in and will be frequenting here regularly again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom