HELP PLEASE! Can you name this part?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joeysnowey

Car
E320 CDI (Retired) - Now driving R Class 2009 Sport
Hi all. I was driving my nice new R class (new to me anyway) just now and pulled out of a left hand turn, I accelerated a bit harder than normal as there was a car approaching. As i turned left I heard a twang on the front fight tyre, like going over a stone, then something bounced across under the car and out the left hand side. I turned around and drove back to find the thing I saw in my mirror, and I picked it up. Annoyingly, it has a Merc badge on it, so while its still possible i just drove over it, it COULD be off my car which is worrying. If it did come off, it was from around the drivers side front wheel assembly area. Here are a few pictures - can any tech guys name this part, and if so, tell me if it's from an R Class or not?! :D

Snaggy - easy screenshots

Bit gay but that's subjective. Yep, thanks for the input, it helped me smile at least :D

I wouldn't be using the R class until I'd found out exactly what that part does.
At the very least, driving very cautiously to my indy to check it over and taking that part with me.
Sorry I cant identify what that part is.

Often there will be a part number embossed/engraved on the piece somewhere, anything on this?

Also worth getting under the car - see if there's anything like this part on the other side...

Often there will be a part number embossed/engraved on the piece somewhere, anything on this?

Is that the Mercedes logo on the rubber part? It looks as though there's a number on there, "642 0040". I can't make it out clearly. If it's the part number it suggests it's off the engine (OM642 being the 3.0V6 diesel?)

I wouldn't be using the R class until I'd found out exactly what that part does.
At the very least, driving very cautiously to my indy to check it over and taking that part with me.
Sorry I cant identify what that part is.

Yep, I limped home carefully and not doing much with car until I know. It's not very heavy duty, and may not have even come off my car, so I can't see it being likely to make the wheel fall of or something but def will be careful until i know! thanks

Is that the Mercedes logo on the rubber part? It looks as though there's a number on there, "642 0040". I can't make it out clearly. If it's the part number it suggests it's off the engine (OM642 being the 3.0V6 diesel?)

Yes, just cleaned it for a better look. not crystal clear but i think this is whats stamped on it:

A642 094 06 85 >FPDM< 40

(FPDM could be EPDM, the bottom of letters is worn off)

Looks a bit like a mounting bolt for the airmatic compressor which is under one of the front wings ? Difficult to tell without a visual aid to scale. Here it is on an S class I think. forget the arrows they are for something else.
284647d1263430916-help-needed-airmatic-damping-img_1925.jpg

Correction from EPC search that is a "rubber buffer" = flexible mounting bolt from the air filter housing on the engine intake

Sorry, didn't think of scale, duh!
Well spotted! It does look similar, but not sure. Two things...

1. Mine has a fixed bolt head on one end, yours has a thread with nut on it (bottom in your pic).
2. It has a sharp point, but like it's designed to push into something which specifically needs that shape. In other words, it's not just a bolt I don't think.
Has me very confused!
Thanks
Here it is with some scale:

cz96OZ.jpg

Correction from EPC search that is a "rubber buffer" = flexible mounting bolt from the air filter housing on the engine intake
Oh! Whats an EPC search? Are you saying that's definitely what it is, based on part number? I better have a look, only had the car a few days and not even opened the bonnet yet! Would that be easy to spot under the lid for a muppet like me?!

You're a flipping genius. THANK YOU. Yes it looks like what i have on my desk here is 475, 480 and 440. The rubber grommet is sitting on a sliding metal sleeve which I think is 480. So, now to try and find this with a head torch! Thank you again, extremely grateful

Looks like a centre bolt with a grommet on one end.....oil filter retaining centre bolt? But yeah, as said above find the part number and google it

EDIT -see you found it above! Ignore me!

Ha, thanks anyway Eddy.

If I do find it came off my car (which I now assume it must have) maybe a bit of thread locker is in order?
I find it slightly coincidental that I have just had a B Service done on the vehicle about 500 miles ago

Sorry, didn't think of scale, duh!
Well spotted! It does look similar, but not sure. Two things...

1. Mine has a fixed bolt head on one end, yours has a thread with nut on it (bottom in your pic).
2. It has a sharp point, but like it's designed to push into something which specifically needs that shape. In other words, it's not just a bolt I don't think.
Has me very confused!
Thanks
Here it is with some scale:

cz96OZ.jpg

I would suggest that the pointed or sharp end either fits into a Captive or Lock Nut!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom