Help Please, Car Unstable At Backend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hirbod

Car
E250 Diesel W210
Hi Everyboy

I have searched the forum but have not come across the same question, if I have missed it, sorry.

My W124 300D seems to be swerving at the back, it feels like driving on ice, the rear shockers and springs are new, has anybody had the same problem.

All suggestions are most welcomed.

Hirbod:confused: :confused: :confused:

Are the wheel bearings in sound condition? That could cause a wandering rear end, so to speak.

S.

There are several 'arms' underneath the rear of your car (about 8, though I'm not very sure) with bushes on both ends. One or more of these bushes may be worn out causing unstability at the rear. I had a similar experience with my 190E and turned out that one of the arms had a worn out bush. The problem was solved after I replaced this arm.
Good luck.

Originally posted by 16vKenya
There are several 'arms' underneath the rear of your car (about 8, though I'm not very sure) with bushes on both ends. One or more of these bushes may be worn out causing unstability at the rear. I had a similar experience with my 190E and turned out that one of the arms had a worn out bush. The problem was solved after I replaced this arm.
Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Cheers. Hirbod

Also check the ball joints aren't worn as this would cause the wallowing effect...

Gav.

Might be silly question, but have you checked the tyre pressures???:confused:

underinflated oversize tyres on standard rims have the same effect too

The control arm bushes are favourite. Grap hold of the arms and if you can twist them then they need changing. The front upper control arm was upgraded on latter models ('93-) and is what you should use to replace the old ones.
PS by 'front' I mean the one on the rear nearest the front!

Last edited:
thanks everybody for suggestions, I will keep you informed when I can book it in at the garage to repair it.
Cheers. Hirbod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom