Help please - rear headrests popped up !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silverclk230

Car
clk 230 cabriolet
Help please - Please can anyone advise how to reset these without going to dealers, car is W208 clk cab.(although I have booked in for Friday pm). Went over hump bridge today too fast & rear headrests popped up (car thought it was going to roll over despite only doing 30 ish) now they wont return. Dealer says they have to reset via their diagnostics machine - is there a user friendly way of doing this?
thanks
Dave

Hi Dave,

The same thing happened to our CLK while my wife was driving it, due to a rather large pothole! The reset procedure is in the handbook (page 211 in ours) but I'll quote it here to save you some time.

"The head restraints are integrated into the rollover bar.

The rollover bar is raised automatically in the event of an accident or in a critical driving situation. You will hear a noise as this happens.

<illustration of switch on centre console>

The rollover bar can be lowered again after automatic operation:

Raise the rollover bar fully by the switch, then press on lower until the rollover bar reaches its lower end position (approximately 20 seconds).

Key in position 2 in the starter switch.
1. Raise the rollover bar
2. Lower the rollover bar

When the key is in position 2 in the starter switch and the engine is running, the indicator lamp in the switch flashes for approximately 15 seconds if the rollover bar is not raised.

This is to remind you that the rollover bar with integrated head restraints must be raised when the rear seats are occupied."

Hope it works for you - it did for us :)

DaveA

Last edited:
Thanks Dave - tried this & didn`t work - looks like trip to dealers inevitable. Dave

This has happened to me twice in exactly the same circumstance (and the same bridge!) I can't remember quite how I got them down but I certainly didn't pay a stealer... Just fiddle with the switches - They will go down eventually..

All done now - thanks guys for the advice.
Dealer fixed them in the end - took them 20 minutes, then thanked me for my custom. No charge - during that time they also washed the outside, hoovered the inside and blacked the tyres !
Top service - Merceds Benz Kings Norton (they have always been very helpful every time I have visited them).

Digging up the past a bit here but I have done just this! Have been playing with the switch with no results yet, will try some more then maybe pop to stealer. cheers guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom